Coffee Smells Like Freshly Ground Heaven (Twenty)

Upon opening her eyes, Sonny made a surprising discovery. Actually, she awoke with a couple of them. Firstly, her body was pressed against Jack's, which meant this was the third time they had slept together -- in the literal sense. Secondly, her cheek was pressed against Jack’s bosom. She had to admit that it was soft, warm, and very comfortable, yet it was a little dangerous being in such a position. Raising her head, Sonny was startled to see two blue eyes filled with amusement staring at her.

“Hey there."

Sonny felt the color rising in her cheeks. The way Jack uttered that greeting, husky and sleep tinged, affected her in a way she couldn’t quite explain. All Sonny knew was that butterflies were a flutter in the pit of her stomach. “Hi,” she shyly replied. “How did I get here?”

“I could be wrong, but I'm gonna go out on a limb by guessing that your mama gave birth to you,” Jack retorted, a large grin on her face.

Her friend smirked. So, it appeared that out of the many alters she possessed, Jack the Teaser had come out to play. Oh, joy. “Very funny, Jack. Now, how did I get in your… in this position? I was sitting up.”

Removing her arm from around Sonny’s waist, Jack tucked both of her hands behind her head. “I woke up, noticing that you were asleep. You looked uncomfortable with your head lolling forward the way it was, so I pulled you under this blanket with me. By the way, thank you for the blanket. I was a little chilly.”

Noticing that her arm was draped across Jack’s stomach, Sonny decided to leave it there as she propped her chin in her hand while looking up at the other woman. “You’re welcome, Jack,” she paused. “So, did you sleep well?”

The brunette nodded. “As a matter of fact I did. I had a very interesting dream and you were in it,” she said, smiling.

One of Sonny’s eyebrows raised in curiosity though she was almost afraid to ask what had been going on in the dream. She attempted to find out by studying the expression on Jack’s face, but found that it was indecipherable. For all she knew, in this dream she could have been wearing nothing but a smile as Jack continuously used her as a sex toy. Sonny shook her head. On sleepless nights, she had been watching far too much cable.

“Don’t you want to know what it was about?” Jack asked after Sonny remained silent for a considerable amount of time. She smiled a bit as Sonny nodded. “It’s nothing bad, I promise you. I’d give it a PG-13 rating, so please don’t worry.” The smile she offered was filled with reassurance.

Returning the smile, Sonny displayed some boldness by scooting up until she could lay her head on Jack's shoulder. She figured that she might as well get comfortable so that she could listen to this PG-13 dream. Plus, she enjoyed the warmth radiating from Jack and the woman didn’t seem to mind their close contact. Though, she shouldn’t since she initiated it in the first place. Sonny had to suppress a moan when a warm hand covered the nape of her neck and began to lightly massage.

“In the dream,” Jack started, continuing her one-handed massaging, “I was at this elegant soiree where all the men were dressed in tuxedos and the women donned expensive looking dresses. Though in my opinion, some of them looked garish and overdone. From what I could tell, I was the only woman not wearing a dress. Instead, I had on a pair of white slacks and a cornflower blue long-sleeved shirt with a white tuxedo style jacket over it. The wide collar of my shirt was folded over the collar of my jacket, which was totally unbuttoned. I don’t recall what type of shoes I wore.”

“So, in other words, you resembled John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever,” Sonny interjected with a grin plastered on her lips. 

Jack laughed. “Um, yeah, I guess so.”

“Tell me, were there disco balls hanging from the ceiling?” Sonny asked, still grinning.

Jack laughed again as she lightly squeezed and kneaded the back of Sonny’s neck. “Oh, you woke up as a comedian, hmm? No, there weren’t any disco balls. I told you that this was a fancy shindig. Anyway, most of the people in the large ballroom were mingling but I had chosen to be by myself, observing everything and everyone around me as I occasionally took sips from a crystal flute of champagne. I don’t know what this party was for, but I didn’t want to be there. I was bored and all I wanted to do was go home. Suddenly, I looked up at the top of a flight of stairs and that was when I laid eyes on an angel. And do you know who that angel was?”

Sonny blushed from head to toe. “Was it me perhaps?”

The brunette grinned, noticing the blush. “Yes, it was you. And you did look beautiful as you stood at the top of those steps. You were wearing a gorgeous ball gown that matched the color of my shirt perfectly. It had a scoop neck and short sleeves. Below your waist, the gown flowed outward a bit and I believe that there were tiny white pearls placed in patterns on the dress. You had on a pair of white gloves that stopped about half an inch from your elbow. You reminded me of a princess as well as an angel. The only thing missing was your crown.”

“This reminds me of Cinderella.” Unconsciously, Sonny started stroking up and down Jack’s stomach with her fingertips.

Jack nodded, trying to concentrate with the sensations that Sonny’s active fingers were producing. “Yeah, that’s what I thought when I woke up and reflected on it. It was like a modern day Cinderella. So, as my eyes made contact with yours, a song by one of my favorite jazz musicians began to play. Do you know the song At Last performed by Etta James?”

The title of the song nor the singer sounding familiar, Sonny shook her head. “No, I don’t think I do.”

Feeling in the mood to sing, (she figured that the Vicodin still must have been in her system) Jack lightly cleared her throat before starting to hum the opening music to the song. Soon in a melodic voice, she performed her own version.

At last, my love has come along
My lonely days are over
And life is like a song
Ooh yeah yeah

At last, the skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up in clover
The night I looked at you

Raising her head, green eyes stared deeply into blue, almost being hypnotized by them as well as Jack’s sultry voice. Both were weaving a spell on Sonny, and she found it impossible to tear her eyes away from Jack’s. Also, the hand still massaging the back of her neck was proving to relax Sonny as the seconds ticked by.

I found a dream, that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill that I have never known
Ooh yeah yeah…

You smile, you smile
Ooh and then the spell was cast
And here we are in Heaven
For you are mine at last

Before she could ponder the possible consequences of her actions, Sonny pressed her lips to Jack’s in a tender kiss. Softly moaning, Jack wrapped both of her arms around Sonny, eagerly returning the kiss. As the golden-haired brunette's lips parted, Jack slowly, almost hesitantly slipped her tongue inside, seeking out the other woman’s. Like the lyrics to the song she had just sang, this really was Heaven. It just had to be.

Score: Jack: 1-- Blueyez: 1

Growing a bit bolder, Jack slipped her hand under the back of Sonny’s shirt, lightly brushing her fingertips across the woman’s skin as their tongues dueled for space in each other’s mouth. If she knew that she would have received this type of reaction, Jack would have privately serenaded Sonny a long time ago. Just as her hand reached the middle of the smaller woman’s back, fingertips touching the clasp of her bra, Sonny pulled away from the kissed, leaping off of the couch as though it was on fire. Jack inwardly sighed. So very close yet so very far. Well, she was keeping the point regardless. This had to be progress.

A little winded, Jack looked up at Sonny who had by now taken a seat on the coffeetable. Jack attempted to make eye contact, but the other woman refused to, as she looked down toward the floor in obvious embarrassment. Sitting up, Jack pushed the blanket aside before reaching over and placing two fingers under Sonny’s chin, gently pushing up until she could see to her amazement, green eyes brimming with tears. When Jack softly inquired what was wrong, Sonny burst into tears, covering her face with her hands.

Although she hadn’t started this, Jack suddenly felt like a scoundrel, helplessly watching the love of her life sob. Getting to her knees on the floor, she wordlessly wrapped her arms around Sonny, holding the shaking and crying woman to her tightly. As she felt a pair of arms slip around her, Jack started to gently rock Sonny from side to side, stroking up and down her back hoping to soothe her. Sonny pressed her face into Jack’s neck while attempting to gain control of her emotions. Taking a series of deep breaths, she finally calmed down. Wiping at her cheeks, Sonny sat back, placing both of her hands in her lap as she regarded Jack with an apologetic look.

“I’m so sorry about this, Jack,” she started. “I don’t know what came over me. I mean... when I kissed you.”

The kneeling woman arched an eyebrow. So, she was apologizing for being the best kisser that Jack ever had the pleasure of experiencing? An apology definitely was not necessary. Placing a hand on Sonny’s cheek and starting to caress the soft, smooth skin, she told her as much. Shaking her head, Sonny stood up and moved over to sit on the couch, putting one leg beneath her. Running a hand through wavy and sleep mussed hair, she took a deep breath, watching as Jack also moved back to the couch, choosing to leave ample space between them.

“Sonny, tell me what’s bothering you, please,” Jack asked in a quiet voice, eyes filled with concern. She craved to reach out and hold the woman, but figured that Sonny didn’t want to be touched at that moment.

“I never should have kissed you,” Sonny started in a voice so soft that Jack had to scoot toward her a bit to hear. “That was so wrong. So very wrong.”

“But, sweetheart, I didn’t have a problem with it. Did you see me complaining?” It was so right. So very right! She wished that Sonny would just stop fighting her feelings and give them a chance. Her dream was akin to Cinderella. Why couldn't real life be as simplistic as a fairytale?

Distressed green eyes gazed into affectionate blue ones. “I still shouldn’t have done it. Jack, I don’t want to lead you on. That wouldn’t be at all fair to you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Blueyez.” Jack stared toward her blankly. “You know, the woman from the Internet who I was supposed to meet at Disneyworld,” Sonny went on to say.

“Oh!” Jack nodded as though she hadn’t already known that. Blue was starting to be a real pain in the ass. “Right, her. What does she have to do with you kissing me?” Like I don’t already know the answer.

“Jack, I…” Sonny paused while trying to find the right words. She didn’t want to hurt Jack, but there really was no easy way to say something like this. “I told Blue in an email I sent today that I love her.”

The brunette managed to look just a tad bit hurt by the ‘new’ information. “Define love, please. I have a feeling that you love her more than as a friend. Am I correct?”

Sonny nodded, hardly being able to look at the hurt expression on Jack’s face. The last thing she wanted to do was hurt her, but she had to be honest. “Yes, you are. Truthfully, I can’t say that I’m in love with her, but my attraction and feelings are quite strong. And based on the reply she sent me, she feels the same way.”

Jack nodded, appearing solemn. “I see.” So, Sonny wasn’t in love with Blue after all. Well that might turn out to be a good thing. I think.

Reaching over, Sonny covered one of the other woman’s hands with her own as she peered into her face. “Hey, are you okay?” Sonny softly inquired. Jack looked like someone who had just lost their very best friend.

Jack sighed softly, placing her other hand over Sonny’s, sandwiching it. “I will be,” she quietly replied. “Thank you for being honest with me. I appreciate it.” She gave Sonny a slight smile. “That Blueyez is a very lucky woman, and I hope she’s aware of that fact. I hope she realizes just what a precious gift you truly are, Sonny.” And this years Academy Award for best actress goes to Jacqueline Foster! She would be lying if she were to say that she didn’t feel the least bit guilty about doing all of this, but Jack convinced herself that it was for the greater good. Yeah, that was it.

Sonny’s cheeks turned a nice shade of red as she smiled warmly at Jack, thanking her for the compliment. For an insane moment, Sonny fantasized how it might be if she had both Jack and Blue. She shook her head. She was going to have to stop watching television all together because it was proving to be a bad influence.

“Did you want to finish your dream?” Sonny asked, trying to change the subject.

“Yes, I’d like to. Where did I leave off?”

“You had umm…just finished singing the song that was playing in your dream,” Sonny shyly replied as she remembered what happened next. “Oh, and your singing has jogged my memory. I remember hearing that song in that movie with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman.” She thought for a moment. “Oh, yeah. It was called Rain Man."

“That’s right. It was in the scene where Raymond was trying to teach his brother to dance. I love that movie.” Removing her hands from Sonny’s, the brunette stretched out on the couch until her feet were in Sonny’s lap, and the back of her head was touching the arm of the couch. Noticing the eyebrow arched in her direction, Jack winked, the faintest hint of a grin on her lips.

“Who gave you permission to put your big stinky feet in my lap?” Sonny asked, her voice laced with amusement. Actually, Jack had a very nice set of feet, but Sonny just felt like teasing her. They were the kind that would probably be chosen to appear in commercials such as ones for sandals or toenail polish. Wondering if Jack was ticklish, Sonny had the sudden urge to run her fingertips along the bottom of the woman’s feet.

A mock frown appeared on Jack’s face. “Hey, my feet are neither big nor stinky!” Hearing Sonny chuckle, she joined in before adding, “And don’t even think about it.”

“Don’t think about what?” The look on Sonny’s face was pure innocence. At least she hoped it looked convincing.

Jack smirked, not buying the act. “You know what. I know what’s going through that mind of yours. You wanna tickle me, but I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” A gleam appeared in those eyes.

Wearing a challenging look, Sonny raised a hand toward Jack’s feet, her fingers a mere inch or two from them. She started to wiggle her fingers as though threatening to attack.

“Sonny,” Jack said in a warning tone, though she grinned. “Be a good girl and allow the former Conqueror to finish telling her dream.”

The other woman groaned, dropping her hand to the couch. She gave Jack a “you’re no fun” look, trying not to smile as Jack richly laughed. Sonny then failed, the corners of her mouth lifting. She loved the sound of Jack laughing. Settling back into the couch, Sonny asked Jack to proceed with her dream telling.

“Much better.” Jack stacked her hands behind her head as she looked up at the ceiling and began to speak. “As I said, the song At Last began to play just as I noticed you. My feet must have been drawn to you, because before I could even think about it, I was headed in your direction, weaving through the large crowd. Finally making it to stand at the bottom of the stairs, I outstretched my hand toward you and watched, as you seemed to glide down the stairs to me, a ghost of a smile playing on your lips.

"Our eyes kept constant contact as I wordlessly led you by your gloved hand to the dance floor where I pressed my body against yours and we danced to Etta James’s song. Everyone else in the ballroom seemed to vanish while we danced, allowing the music to carry us away.” Jack moved her eyes from the ceiling to Sonny, who intently stared at her. “In the dream we had just met, but it felt like we had known one another for an entire lifetime. And I remember thinking that I never ever wanted that song to end because I wanted to hold you in my arms for the rest of my life. I wanted to hold you in my arms and dance with you for an eternity.” A lopsided grin took residence on her face. “I know it probably sounds corny, but it was true… it is true,” Jack finished in a whisper, her eyes remaining glued to Sonny's.

Finally, Sonny broke the stare, rapidly blinking. How were they going to be just friends if they kept having moments such as this one? Well somehow, Sonny vowed that it would work because she didn’t have any intention of losing Jack. The mere thought of doing so saddened her. “That’s a very sweet dream, Jack.” Sonny stated while smiling at the other woman. “I believe one of the best I’ve ever heard.”

Jack smiled back at her. “And I believe it’s one of the best I’ve ever had.”

Feeling another moment coming on, Sonny asked Jack if she would like something to eat. Nodding, the brunette removed her feet from Sonny’s lap and sat up as she asked what time it was. Glancing at her watch, Sonny informed her that it was about a quarter to ten o’clock. Remembering that she hadn’t told her about the phone call to Leslie yet, Sonny filled her in, making sure to tell her what Chloe said.

“I don’t know,” Jack slowly said. “Maybe I should just leave you home and go there.”

Sonny shook her head. “Jack, she gave specific orders that she didn’t want to see you until morning. She, Leslie, and I want you to rest. Now, we can head over to the hospital first thing in the morning after I make us breakfast.”

Jack tenderly smiled. “Sonny, you don’t have to go with me. Chloe’s out of the woods now so I’ll be fine.”

Reaching over, Sonny took the woman’s hand in her own, giving it a light squeeze as she gazed into Jack’s eyes. “I know I don’t have to go. I want to be there with you.”

Feeling overwhelmed with emotion, Jack swallowed hard before pulling Sonny into a warm embrace while wondering how it was she got so lucky. The more time she spent with Sonny, the greater her love became. It was on the tip of her tongue to tell the woman so, but she kept silent, knowing that it wasn’t time yet. This was much too early. Quietly thanking Sonny for being such a great friend, Jack pulled back so that she could kiss her on the cheek.

“Now, I believe you said something about food.” Both women laughed when Jack’s stomach chose that moment to grumble.