218: Between Two Worlds

Remember to comment and vote <3

1002

"So...Lady Aurora knows."

Maci didn't react, organising clothes on her bed as Elijah waltzed into her quarters with the discreteness of a cat. Her servants were incredibly loyal, meaning the 'affair' and complete impurity of it all stayed entirely under wraps, saving Maci from the religious judgement that would've turned anyone else in the French Court into a spinster.

Maybe it was loyalty.

Maybe it was fear of her.

Or maybe it was because they didn't view her as the French monarch that she was, most preferring to label her as a foreign guest. Especially now that all her assistants were aware of a return date for her.

"She's calmed down," She assured the man, "I put her to bed."

"And then summoned my brother."

Maci turned to face him.

"I would be lying if I pretended I hadn't overheard your conversation with Kol."

"Oh," Maci wasn't sure if he was upset or not, "You should've joined us."

He just shook his head.

"Elijah."

The word just flowed off of her tongue differently.

"Are you offended by my comments on our relationship?"

"You've always made yourself incredibly clear," He finally stepped properly into the room, "It is true?"

A gesture to the dresses.

"You are to leave soon."

"Sometime over the next week or two."

"If you wanted us to travel with you..."

The same thing Kol had implied.

Maci didn't know what to say this time, though.

Elijah's stern face, caring eyes giving away the hurt inside of his soul that had been present since the day they met. Less broken now. Warmed by affection and friendship with someone who didn't question or judge – who was now prepared to leave. And who hadn't told him of the plan.

"With the Count's children knowing of our...condition..." He didn't have a word for it yet, "We cannot remain here much longer."

"You don't want to come with me," She sat, patting for him to join her, "Our lives aren't going to align, Elijah."

"We don't know that."

"You will live forever; I will not."

"You could."

"If you heard my conversation with Kol – "

"Is it wrong to think I know you better?" He challenged, "To tell when you are speaking to avoid."

"You are a safe haven," She lifted a hand to cup his face, "One I would not trade for the world."

Because her world was difficult.

"But – "

"Tell me that you want to spend your life avoiding being wed off," He didn't let her look away, "And I will not mention my offer ever again."

Silence.

"Tell me that you do not wish for us to return home with you – "

"Your family would not survive in my home," She almost laughed at the thought, "And you would never be accepted as my partner."