243: Three Steps Back

a/n: Welcome to the chaos chapters - there's about to be so much happening, and so many misunderstandings / bad choices from everyone lmao
Remember to comment and vote <3 Bea

(More Mikaelson's next chapter, this is pure MJ)

"Did Vincent speak?" Sam's voice was the first thing on the recording.

"MJ says he went to cast something."

As Kol spoke, the woman's head snapped in a million directions, crawling around MJ's Cauldron like a cage, eyes white and blood everywhere. The pair continued just as she flopped back, using the force of the move to fling herself upright and into the back wall, unable to stop the constant hits into the wall like an invisible monster was trying to beat her to death.

MJ almost wanted to stop watching, standing in her New Orleans apartment.

No one knew she was already back as her entire identity came crashing down.

She might be pregnant.

There was a chance she was pregnant.

CAROLINE HAD JUST GIVEN BIRTH, AND MJ HAD WATCHED HER AND HELPED AND HELD THE BABIES AND ONE OF THEM WAS NAMED AFTER HER, AND THE WHITE OAK WAS STILL MISSING, AND IF ANYTHING HAPPENED TO KLAUS THOSE BABIES WOULD LOSE THEIR –

Kol's video.

Kol had sent her a video.

"Nou pral tonbe!" The woman stumbled towards the counter, "Nou pral mouri."

MJ focused on the words.

"Tanpri – tanpri – "

"We will fall," MJ recited while searching her apartment, "We will die."

The 'best' message ever.

"Then the repeating of 'please,'" She was stacking books into her bag, "Begging to die? Or to be saved?"

"Nou sipliye."

"We beg," She unlocked the painting of Marianna Lockwood, "Great?"

"Nou pa ka rete jan nou te ye a."

"We cannot remain as we are."

"Ou pa konprann."

The constant noise of the destruction of The Cauldron had MJ flinching. It was meant to be a safe spot. She'd worked so hard since becoming an elder to rebrand The French Quarter as a safe place, and now one of her witches had literally been possessed to smash the place to pieces...

"Sa se lakay nou, pèp nou an."

It was an ancestral stab in MJ's heart.

The sound of the woman dropping her knife in the video a little too on the nose.

"You do not understand," MJ translated, "This is our home."

Pulling Esther's Grimoire out and staring back at the video.

The woman's features were so pulled back – like the skin had been pinned to make every expression almost drawn on.

Bled out of her.

"Our people."

A threat.

"I am your people," MJ couldn't look away, "They are my people."

"Ou detwi pèp nou an."

"You destroy our people," She forced her eyes to close, "This is not a threat to me."