220: Walks and Runs Down Memory Lane

a/n: uni starts tomorrow so give me some comments to read between lectures x might post next part soon in celebration <3

1820

The Mikaelson Family sat in a large white mansion near the forests of New Orleans, an apple orchard beyond the large open window of the second-floor dining room.

Well, by family, specifically Niklaus, Rebekah, and Elijah, two servants manning the room, others escorting plates back to the kitchen as the breakfast was eaten up, a side storage room housing two coffins compulsion stopped society from learning about.

Things were going quite well.

Elijah had entertained himself with a local witch named Celeste, Rebekah, taken by a man named Emil, Klaus seeing what the city threw at him. Though Celeste would become a long-term problem, Emil was almost the man of the hour – his father, the governor, the one housing them in that lovely dining room. Helping hide their bloodsucking until the Mikaelson home had been completed in the city centre.

There was light chatter, discussions about the ball they were attending the following day, Rebekah subtly trying to stress how happy she was.

How happy they all were.

Her brother's unable to disagree.

Shared smiles.

Good food.

Blood in the goblets.

Everything was fine.

Too fine.

Klaus jolted upright, eyes suddenly wild.

"Brother – "

Rebekah's word was barely out of her mouth before he'd vanished from the room, like a shadow around the mortals, Elijah's face just as confused as hers.

Until they both heard it.

An unfamiliar footstep.

A creaking they had dared not to cause.

Elijah was a moment behind him, heart rate faster than it had been since the last time the familiar perfume appeared in the air.

In that dull side room, one of the coffins was now open, body inside clear to the eyes, grey skin, dark veins up his arms, brown hair disgustingly long and unkept, outfit representing the era he'd last been awake in.

A woman pinned to the wall, grin wide and taunting as Klaus's hand tightened around her throat – purpling it in a way that shouldn't be possible for their kind.

"Lovely to see you too, Niklaus."

A tuneful accent similar to theirs rather than that of the land they were on.

Long hair only curled around the tips. No dramatic updo or white pearls donning her neck. Gold chains and rare stones blessing the smooth immortal skin, hand outstretched towards the coffin like the palm had been wrapped around something.

"How dare – "

Elijah slammed into the middle, forcing Klaus to stumble back, both arms up to separate the pair.

"Brother – "

"Do not – "

"Oh, move over, Elijah," Maci held Klaus's glare, "Let the clod prove his incompetence."

"Lina!"

"I dare him to touch me."

Klaus charged, only for her to dodge to the side, a taunting laugh in the air, Rebekah finally joining the flurry, panic instantly vanishing at the sight of the familiar face. Panic to boredom. A simple routine. Peace, to chaos, to the acceptance Kol wasn't being awoken, to the ex-lovers in bed together.