253: 269 Moves, 20 Hours, 15 Minutes

a/n: this chapter is a rollercoaster, try and have fun with it - and the title is a ref to one of the longest chess games ever played
Remember to comment and vote <3
- Bea

MJ was back with as much of Ryos's stuff she could drag over from The Cauldron, sending out a series of messages to get people around the city moving. Yes, she could summon everything, but she needed fresh air. And, transporting anything Ryos had ever touched into The Compound was a waste of power.

She was still in Kol's shirt, sleeves rolled up to her elbows, long enough to sit against her thighs. She needed that soft white material and loose pyjama shorts. Nothing tight. Nothing suffocating. Just traces of his body wash in the fabric.

Kol flicked through one of the many books Ryos had documented his work in, a sky blue shirt, fabric similar to that of jeans but far thinner – chambray. Sleeves rolled up, top button loose. Studying ideas with a frown on his face. Not because he didn't understand them,  because he did, and because he hated admitting that her brother had been a talented witch with brilliant ideas.

MJ let herself find peace in looking at him.

Partly because of how beautiful he was, partly because it was always interesting to see how he was acting and what he was doing. The darker-toned jeans were the perfect middle between form-fitting and loose. His pallet so blue recently.

It suited him.

She wouldn't pretend it didn't, but it was a slight change from what she'd gotten used to through the summer, hair just slightly messy as he tried to work out what she needed.

Because she knew that was what he was thinking.

Constantly aware when her eyes were on him, looking up and offering a wink.

A reminder that he would get her out of there in a second.

"If we're doing this," MJ made a herb circle in the centre of the room, "We are doing this my way."

Klaus was stuck to the stairs, just watching her, Hayley letting Elijah look through the files she'd brought them, Freya close to Finn, on the left side of the room, both clearly uncomfortable. The entire situation involved witchcraft, so Freya, at the very least, wanted to offer assistance. Still, she didn't know the magic and wasn't sure how to feel about MJ's fidgeting state.

"No one steps inside," MJ neatened up the circle with her feet, "No matter what happens."

She gave Kol a pointed look.

"The only person passing in and out is me."

"If he tries to touch you – "

"I will step outside the line," MJ assured him, "He'll only be able to use magic within it."

"Can't you restrict his power?" Elijah suggested.

"Not if we want him to help," MJ moved to the wooden box, "If Ryos created this serum, he could make a cure. He needs magic to do that."

"And how will we know he is helping?" Klaus seemed lost in thought, "And not creating something worse?"

"See those candles," MJ opened the clasp, "Four, at set points around the circle."

A lime green colour.

"They create truth," She didn't want to waste energy on a rune, "Anyone inside the circle cannot lie."

He could not answer a question or dodge a topic, but that was for MJ to deal with. And, with so many onlookers, she refused to believe he'd be able to fool all of them.