𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟖

♬ I admit it that I think about it sometimes
Even though I know it's not so distant ♬

Carlos Sainz POV

I knew what I wanted to give her for a few months now. Nobody knew. I wanted to give her something that would mean something for her because I knew materialistic things are not her thing. She is bad with emotions but she has them a lot. I planned this for months, it took a lot of time and effort to make it happen, it was almost impossible but money always helps making difficult things come to life. I stopped the car and looked at the confused Maya who looked around completely lost. Mariana and Camila had no idea, I didn't even tell my parents.

"What are we doing here?" Maya asks confusedly.

"You brought me here on your birthday to show me where you lived your entire childhood and where your parents were burried" I say and she nods confusedly.

"I know I did, but why are we here? I know my parents haven't come back to life"

"I bought the apartment. I made the deposit, today is the day to sign the papers. I didn't look around, I never crossed the door. You should be the first one to do so. But I got in touch with some people and expressed my interest in buying the apartment. It was promised to me tht everything was still inside, nobody went aside, nobody moved it. The bank had to much on their hands so this was more of a second tought. I just need you to go inside and sign the papers so it will on your name and your name only. This is my gift for you" I say and I watched as tears came to her eyes. Camila and Mariana gasped covering their mouths ompletely shocked.

"I would say you didn't do it but it would be a cruel joke to play on a severely pregnant woman" Maya says holding back tears.

"It's not a joke cariño. The house you grew up in will be yours as soon as you sign those papers. It will be yours to do as you please, you can raise our child in there once he is bigger or you can leave it to him later but it's happening" I say calmly and she took some deep breaths before getting out of the car to get some air.

"Did you really buy it?" Camila asks still stunned and I nod.

"Did I fuck it up? I mean, I thought she would love it but I'm afraid I went too far and got too much in her business" I say regretting my own decisions. I wanted to give her everything and I guess I didn't even think about ny negative reaction.

"No! She is just getting some air because she is too emotional. You should go with her, we will stay behind. You are the one she needs right now" Camila says and I nod leaving the car. She was sitting by the building's entrance stairs and looked up at me with her eyes now red, she cried.

"Iam not sad. You didn't make a mistake, I just don't like crying in front of people and I never thought this would be possible. I never pictured this scenario in my mind. I will get everything back, my memories won't be blurry, I will hae all of our pictures back and I can enter the place I was raised in. That is something I could never pay you back and I'm really grateful for what you did" She blurts out quickly, I help her get up and she hugs me tightly.

"You deserve more than anybody. Hold my hand and I will accompany you to the door" I say and she nods, putting her hand in mine, the man in charge of the deal opens the building door for us and we follow him quietly in the elevator. Other than a good evening it was really a moment of suspense. As soon as the doors of the elevator opens, he picks up the keys and gives them to her.

"You can go ahead. It will be a lot of dust in the air so I would recommend putting a mask on, especially with an advanced pregnancy. When you are ready to sign I will be here waiting" He says and Maya relutanctly accepts the keys.

"You can do it baby" I say preparing to let my hand go but she holds it.

"Come with me please" She pleads and I saw how much her other hand was shaking.

"I will always be by your side" I say picking up the keys and putting them in the door because I don't think her shaky hands would be able to. She turns the keys around and opens the door wide open.

For a moment everything stoppe and I can't imagine what she is feeling. She stood there almost paralyzed, her eyes watery all over again. I looked around and I felt my heart breaking because there were a lot of pictures of the three of them hanging on the walls. Maya as a kid, a cute one at that. Maya when she finished high school. Her diploma and her college acceptance letter were on a frame proudly exposed.

She was loved, she was deeply and proudly loved by them, that made me think about my parents. How hard it would be to lose them. I had a whole family to fall back as support. She lost the only family she had. She had Camila and Mariana but it's not the same. I go behind her and put my arm around her as support. I hear her deep breaths, I feel her tears falling on my arm but I let her go as she starts looking around. She looked at every photo, at every detail and so did I. She went down the hallway and stopped to look at the door at the end.

"It's their room. Just as they left it. My roomis on the right, my gift is still on the bed, unopened. I didn't take it and I never knew what it was" She almost whispers and I feel a lump on my throat. Did I make the right choice or am I causing her pain?