𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟒

♪ Baby, I'm dancing in the dark
With you between my arms ♪

Carlos Sainz POV

I told Maya I loved her before leaving. I wanted to see what reaction I would get and I got none. She was speechless and I took that as my cue to leave it alone. I am now in Italy, having dinner with Charles and telling him about the first month of Mateo's life. He was loving it.

"He is really the two of you together, there is no way to doubt who the father and mother are, there wouldn't even be a need for DNA just on genetics" He says amused while I showed him some pics.

"I didn't even think about anything else as soon as I saw him, it was pretty clear. I never had a doubt, I trust Maya" I say happily.

"But, you did a DNA test, right? You should always do one if you aren't in a serious relationship when it was conceived. Never sign a birth certificate before that" He says with a smile and I shake my head.

"I trust her, I don't need that. Even Isabel came with that shit, I don't need it. He is obviously mine and Maya had nothing to win" I say and he freezes.

"I love Maya, don't get me wrong. She is great but people can fool other people. She won a lot with this pregnancy. You are rich, and your family is known. Her having your son was an advantage for her. I don't believe Maya fooled you but I believe that people do that, they make wealthy men believe they are the parents. A DNA test never did any wrong. But I don't doubt Maya too, she is adorable" Charles says quickly defending what he has said, he and Maya talked a lot and I knew he wouldn't want to offend her in the slightest.

"Do you think it was dumb of me not to do it? My parents didn't even talk about it, they are always so careful and I think we all just trusted her" I say not really concerned at the point of doing it now.

"Maya is someone to be trusted, I truly believe her, she is genuine and she is a great friend. I just think that people like us just should be careful. That's it, don't think about it" He says trying to get my mind off of it.

And it did. We ended up talking about other stuff and the week went by rapidly. We were always busy but I always exchanged at least 3 video calls with Maya to see both her and Mateo and to talk to her. When I finally got back home, I find her sleeping on our bed with him, he was with his belly up because she says it was safer for a quick nap. She didn't want to take risks but in case he was too cranky she wouldn't deny him her lap.

I took a quick bath in the guest bathroom and went to our bed after I was dressed, I lightly picked him up and spent a few minutes with him.

"I didn't hear you coming in" She says in a sleepy voice and I smile.

"You weren't meant to hear me, are you okay? Are you resting?" I ask and she nods.

"I am fine, I just take his naps as my cue for some extra sleep. He was crying, fell asleep and so did I" She says sitting on the bed.

"I will put him in the crib, he is getting sleepy again" I say getting up and she nods. I come back and she was fidgeting with her finger nervously.

"Can we talk?" She asks and I nod confusedly.

"Of course. Did something happen?" I ask sitting down in front of her.

"You said you loved me when you left for Italy last week" She says and now I am the one getting nervous and embarrassed. I know I tried, but I still got rejected in her own way.

"Yeah, I remember that. I have come to realize I have completely fallen for you Maya but I would never follow on those feelings if they weren't consensual and reciprocated" I say trying to make the embarrassment a bit less.

"Do you think they aren't reciprocated?" She asks confusedly and I nod.

"I was made sure they weren't, I don't blame you for that, I would never do such thing" I say trying to make sure my feelings are known.

"I have fallen for you too. I tried to blame it on the hormones. Every time my heart skipped a beat, every time it went too fast, every time I got flustered, everything. I tried to say it wasn't meant to be, I tried to keep myself in my place. I reminded myself I wasn't enough, I wasn't at your level, I would never be the one for you and-"

I interrupted her putting my lips on hers. I heard enough. She felt the same, that was all I needed.

"You are all I never knew I needed Maya. You are not perfect, I am not perfect. But we made something perfect. I fell for the good and the bad. I fell for the independent woman I got to know. I fell for the woman who picks up a chair to get things from the top shelf but will give me that thing because she can't open the lid. I love you as a whole, I don't care about your bank account or how many people have your back. The 50 people on my side would quickly turn to yours if I made some shit. I know my family is yours now, the same goes for my friends" I say looking directly into her eyes and she smiles.

"I love you too Carlos. All of you. Starting with your dumbness and ending in your terrible jokes and awesome goofiness" She says kissing me and I couldn't help but smile.

We deserve this. Mateo deserves this. It wasn't planned and I think this makes it all that much better. It was meant to be all along if you ask me.