𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒𝟎

♪ Well, I found a girl, beautiful and sweet
Oh, I never knew you were the someone waiting for me ♪

Carlos Sainz POV

All the reunions were being done by zoom since she could be giving birth at any point now. She is scheduled for late January and early February so I was being extra careful not to miss it since early January. Ferrari was warned. I was spending a lot of time training and on the simulator to make sure I was ready for the new season. I was with Rupert and our morning was almost finished so we were talking, Caco was just hanging out with us.

"How ready are you for being a dad? Sleepless nights, diapers, poop, and vomit?" Rupert asks and I let out a laugh.

"Not ready enough but I want him so badly. I want to hold him and see him grow. I'm nervous but I can't wait for it to happen" I say honestly and they nod.

"I'm excited about the new family member, everyone is. He couldn't have been in better hands" Caco says proudly.

"It can be anytime now. She has been at the apartment with the girls, she is not resting as much as she should but she is stubborn. We will have to wait and see when he wants to come out, there are still two weeks left for the 40 weeks" I say picking up my towel and cleaning the sweat out of my face.

"You should go take a shower and eat something" Rupert says and I nod.

"You can wait for a second if you want to grab lunch" I say and they nod.

"We can wait" Caco says and I left for my bedroom.

Maya was at the apartment. Since I gave it to her she has been there for a significant time. She went there over the weekend with the girls so they could clean it up and she has been going there in the morning while I train so she can organize it before the little one is born. We will have our hands full once it happens.

"Carlos!" I hear Maya's voice and saw her getting into the bedroom as I was getting out of the shower and with the towel on my waist.

"Hey there cariño" I say and she lets out a laugh.

"Loved the view but I need you to get dressed, get the bag and drive to the hospital. My waters just broke, I'm having the baby today" She says calmly and I am in total panic.

"What? How can you be so calm? You are in labor! Are you in pain?" I ask frantically looking around for my clothes. I grab everything quickly and start getting dressed.

"I have a good few hours ahead until he is born. Let's just keep calm" She says calmly leaving the room. I go into the baby's room and pick up the bag we had prepared. I had already bought a family car, the car seat was already on it and I had everything ready to bring him home.

"Is everything alright?" Caco asks when I get downstairs looking around trying to remember if I forgot something, my brain was all foggy.

"Maya is having the baby. I need to leave. I will see you soon" I say picking up the car keys.

"Shit! I will warn the family" Caco says picking up his phone.

"Thank you" I say leaving to the garage and seeing Maya leaning against the car.

I opened it and she got in, I put the bag in the back and drove to the hospital. Everyone set everything, our room was big and bright. The doctor who followed her entire pregnancy was there which made me relieved. I held Maya's hand while they checked everything.

"You are handling it fantastically and we will be here every step of the way. Pain is normal but if it seems like too much we can discuss the other options I had laid out for you. You are doing great, you are 2 centimeters dilated already so I have a feeling that this will be just fine. The little one is clearly eager to be with you" The doctor says and we both smile. My hand was holding hers and she nodded happily.

"I'm doing fine so let's do this the most natural way we can" She says and the doctor goes to talk to the nurses.

"Do you need me to do something? Do you want the girls here?" I asked still trying to interiorize that it is really happening.

"I am fine, I just need you to be with me, don't go down there to see him get out. I called them already, and they will be here in a few hours when work ends, I just want both of us here and when he is born people can see him. This is our moment" She says giving me a smile and I nod.

"You can have here anyone you want, you are the one giving birth. I am just trying to be supportive as much as I can. This is something I can't really help you with. From now on I will take the burden off of you, right now I can only pray for the best"

"You are doing just fine Carlos. Just make sure I don't crush your hands when the pain gets too much. You will need that hand for work and for the baby" She says letting out a laugh and I shrug.

"You can break it, it's fine, it will recover in time for work" We both laugh as I said it but I knew we were both dreading the hours about to come.

I knew we prepared in every way for this moment. We had classes, we read books, a lot of people advised us, she read blogs, and we did everything we read. As time went on everything seemed to go just fine. I was always close, always holding her hand and the contractions were getting closer until she was finally told to push.

She held my hand strongly and I was even breathing as heavily as she was. The moment we were anticipating was finally here and I was as scared as the day I found out I was going to be a father.