𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟓

♫ She always has trouble falling asleep
And she likes to cuddle while under the sheets ♫

Maya Martinez POV

I was shopping for some clothes for Mateo, he is a baby so he grows very fast and he just turned one. Carlos is in meetings with Ferrari so I came by myself. Until I hear my name being called out, I look back and I see Isabel.

"Wow! He looks just like Carlos" She says surprisedly when we turn around to see who it was and I roll my eyes. Motherhood clearly didn't teach me how to have patience.

"He does. A false paternity test wasn't the best idea to break us up" I snap back and she is obviously nervous.

"I am sorry I did that. I couldn't believe he had moved on that quickly, I had a hard time with that. It felt like everything was taken from me" She says scratching her neck nervously and I nod.

"You are sorry because you were caught. Not because you did it. I hope you have what you wanted, the kids and the marriage. Everyone deserves someone who can give them all but you should appreciate that he didn't lead you on, he made what he wanted clear. What happened between us was completely different circumstances" I say honestly and she nods.

"I was too angry to think about it. In my mind, he was the one and he was rejecting me to be with someone who he didn't even know. But you two are the perfect match, I can see how it worked so well. I was not his person and he wasn't mine. I am moving on too and I am really sorry. I am so glad it worked out for the best" She says regretfully.

"I am glad you found your way and that you are happy. We have to go, it's almost his time to eat, thank you for the honesty. I wish you all the best" I say giving her a smile.

"Congratulations on the engagement, by the way, I am happy for both of you. I will see you around I guess" She says and I smile.

"I hope to see something about yours next" I say before leaving.

I feel better now that everything seems to be on good terms. I never blamed her for the initial outburst but the paternity test was too much of a low blow for me. It had been a year since the initial shock so it was very much calculated and unnecessary. I fed the little one and ended my shopping for the day. I went home and made lunch, right when I ended lunch Carlos appeared.

"You are happy today. What happened?" He asks while hugging me from behind and I turn around with a smile.

"I am normal. But I found Isabel on the mall" I say and he takes a step back surprised. 

"Did something happen? You don't seem mad" He is interested, I can sense. We sit down to eat and I shrug.

"She apologized, she explained her train of thought and we left on a good note. I think we both needed it. I can put it behind us and now I know she won't try it again. She said she realized things weren't what she thought they were between you two and now she is also moving on" I start to eat as soon as I stop talking and Carlos nodded while he ate.

"Well, I am glad peace is back. But it wasn't even on my mind. I am glad she is happy, she is a great woman, and she deserves it. But most of all, are you happy? Because there is no way I could move on without you" He says making sure and I laugh.

"I am happy. I don't want to be without you either. We have a child to raise together. Let's focus on that, on our future wedding, and your career" I say happily.

"Speaking of careers. I was talking to my team principal. They are looking for new engineers and someone told him you had a degree on that. You were the best of your class and he wants to schedule an interview. I swear I had nothing to do with that, I was as surprised as you are right now" He says and I almost choked on my food.

"Are you for real? I can't accept that, people would think I got it because of you and I don't think Mateo should be traveling that much" I say and he shakes his head.

"It's hybrid. It's mostly online and sometimes there will be a need for meetings at the factory. I think you would be great for the job. I told him to contact you this afternoon. It's up to you. I am not influencing this but I would very much love to see you do what you love while also improving my own career. It would be good for you to have something to focus on" He says happily and I smile.

"I would love to finally work in the area but don't you think my empty curriculum will be the weakest one in the bunch? Don't be silly"

"Don't lower yourself. I've used your computer before, you did several courses to improve your knowledge, you are up to date with every important new thing that comes out. You are impressive and he was the one who showed interest, you should give it a try. Just talk to him, maybe schedule an interview" He says putting his hand on mine confidently and I smile.

"Fine, but I won't get my hopes up just for Ferrari to crush them. They are already doing that to you enough" I say making him laugh.

"That hurt cariño" He says shaking his head.

"Facts are facts" I say shrugging and getting back into eating.

Fred Vasseur did call me and I agreed to do an interview. He was very nice about it, he insisted Carlos wasn't the one who mentioned it. Someone told a person in the Human Resources department about my degree and then word got to Fred that they needed my contact information and here we are. I have an interview tomorrow morning and I am a nervous wreck. I guess Ferrari will crush my hopes after all because I am indeed excited. Shit.