𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓𝟎

♪ We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds ♪

Carlos Sainz POV

Don't get me wrong. I knew something was wrong, I knew she was not fine but I wouldn't pressure her to talk and I don't think she would do it before the race was over. But now she is breaking it up like we don't have a child in the middle. This is just crazy. My mind was racing, my heart was breaking and my brain was malfunctioning.

"Just like that? For what reason?" I ask completely dumbfounded. She just got here and dropped the bomb.

"Here you have the paternity test you requested. It got delivered with the urgency you asked for. Lucky you" She says giving me an envelope.

"I didn't request any paternity test. He is my twin, I don't need that shit Maya" I say looking at it closely, it had my name. I open it because she didn't and I open it to see a paternity test.

"Who requested it then? A ghost?" She asks angrily but my attention was on the page. Negative. There was a very low percentage chance of me being his father. 

"Mateo is not mine?" I ask confused with it. I didn't request the test, I took it for granted he was mine, and he looked like me when I was a baby. I never thought about the chance he wasn't mine. She took the paper from me and her face falls.

"What? That is impossible" She says as confused as me. She went blank. She was pale, she looked like she would pass out.

"For fuck sake Maya. He isn't my kid? That is fucking impossible, right? Mateo is mine" I say and I don't know if I was trying to convince myself that the test was wrong.

"I never slept with anyone and I guess I am not a virgin Mary. I lost my virginity to you and never had sex with anyone. This isn't right. Why would you do this to us?" She says completely confused.

"Me? I didn't do shit. I would never think of a paternity test, people talked about it but I never did it. Why would I take 6 months to do it? I love him. Fuck, I love you. I don't fucking care at this point." I say completely broken. I have a test telling me he isn't mine but she says he is mine. And I fucking believe her more than science. How fucking stupid am I?

"I- But- It can't be. He is yours. I never- Oh God" She says completely disoriented. She was sweating, she was not making sense and I try to hold her but she just gets out of the room, she runs out of the room like she was running for her life. I never saw this girl run.

"Maya!" I called out trying to stop her and I basically run after her. She passes out on the floor. Everyone saw it and I raced to her. I got on my knees to see if she was bleeding, and she wasn't. She was breathing but she was clearly not fine. "Call the medical team please" 

And so we did. An ambulance was also called when she didn't wake up with their efforts. I followed behind with Mateo, my mom, dad and Caco. Everyone was silent. We got to the hospital and I stood at the waiting room.

"What happened?" My dad asks when an hour had passed and I was just leaning on my knees and looking at the floor.

"We had a fight, she was not making sense, she ran out and you saw what happened next" I say not even looking at them.

"A fight? About what?" My mom asks worriedly. Neither of us likes to fight so the fact that we fought until she passed out seemed extremely worrisome.

"Someone did a paternity test and sent it to my house. She got it 2 weeks ago and she was breaking it up. But I opened it up and it said I'm not Mateo's father. Did any of you do it?" I ask finally looking at them and they are as shocked as me.

"But- He is your twin. That is not possible. I mean the other man had to be very similar to you" Caco says confusedly.

"We would never do that behind your back, ever. We saw him and we knew he was our grandchild" My dad says putting his hand on my arm and I nod.

"I will be back in a few minutes" I say picking up Mateo from his stroller. I went into the reception and leaned in. "Do you, by any chance, perform DNA tests?"

"We do. Sunday is a pretty calm day, we could perform one right away if it's your interest" She says smiling.

"I would like that. I know it takes a few days, but is there any possibility of having the results today or tomorrow?"

"There is that possibility indeed. The doctor is being called as we speak. Would you like to receive the results physically or by email?" She asks typing on her computer.

"Email. I don't know if I will even be in France tomorrow" I say and she nods.

I went ahead and did it. I don't trust that result. I don't know who did the test, I don't even know how they would've gotten the samples. Who swabbed my kid's cheek without me noticing? Nobody. I came back to my parents and they smile at me.

"Mister Sainz?" I hear someone ask from behind me.

"Yeah?" I answer turning around and see the doctor who was with Maya.

"She has finally woken up. The stress got the best of her, she hasn't been eating and with breastfeeding it goes all to the little one. I would suggest for the source of stress be found and resolved. She is awake and well, she confirmed it was true and she asked for some food which is on its way. She also said you could go in" He says and we follow him to the room. 

My parent's stayed in the hallway to give us some privacy. I got in with Mateo and I notice how she couldn't even look at me. She was eating, the food didn't look that good but she was trying.