5. Arranged Date

Disclaimer: All the characters written below are imaginary and a work of pure fiction. There is no resemblance to any incident or situation and is written as a work of fiction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please do vote & comment your honest views on this chapter. It would motivate me a lot! <3

Smriti's POV -

"Hello?" I heard a deep voice from my phone.

I kept biting my lower lip in embarrassment and nervousness, but it didn't help in calming my anxiety.

"Hello, Smriti?" I heard Vivek calling out to me softly.

I took a deep breath before opening my mouth to say a quick hello, but instead I mumbled a quick "sorry" to him. My body is determined to not follow the instructions of my brain today!

"Sorry? For what?" He chuckled through the phone.

God, why is it so difficult?

"Vivek, I'm sorry for abruptly calling you in the middle of a working day and then ignoring your calls and message, but trust me, I didn't intend to do so. Actually...." I tried explaining to him my plight in one breath but he didn't let me continue.

"Why are you explaining to me all this? You know it's not a big deal, right?" He asked me, probably bewildered by my behavior and I immediately flushed out of embarrassment.

"Right, why am I explaining to him? Its not that I mean to him anything or he means to me anything." My conscience mocked me.

"But I was just being polite. He doesn't need to be rude." I defended myself from my mocking conscience.

"You know he's not." My conscience stated the obvious.

Before I could continue arguing with my conscience, Vivek pulled me back to reality.

"By the way, hope your migraine has subsided by now, hmm?" He enquired about my well-being and I immediately felt horrible calling him rude in my mind.

"Yes, thank you." I replied to him politely, trying to keep the conversation short in an attempt to avoid embarrassing myself again.

There was silence for almost 60 painful seconds, which was thankfully broken by Vivek himself.

"Smriti, Is there something you want to talk about?" He sighed, hinting at my reason for calling him.

"I umm...actually uh...you know...." I kept stuttering and I closed my eyes in frustration. Words refused to roll out of my tongue.

I could hear Vivek sighing again before he spoke.

"Would you like to go out with me for dinner tomorrow?" He asked exactly what I had been told in the morning and was running in my mind for the whole day, yet I choked on air hearing him ask me out.

"Fuck." Vivek cursed on hearing me cough hysterically.

It took me two minutes to calm myself before I could hear Vivek speak to me again.

"I'm sorry for being so blunt. You can deny it if you're not comfortable. You don't need to worry about our parents. I'll handle them. Forget abo.." Vivek visibly panicked, but before he could complete, Yes rolled of my tongue and he stopped blabbering.

"Sorry?" Vivek questioned.

"Yes, I'll accompany you for dinner tomorrow." I don't know from where I suddenly got the confidence to accept his offer.