13. Roka

Disclaimer: All the characters written below are imaginary and a work of pure fiction. There is no resemblance to any incident or situation and is written as a work of fiction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please do follow, vote & comment your honest views on this chapter. It would motivate me a lot! <3

Vivek's POV -

I dash inside my parents' room on reaching the house to find them seated on their couch, watching tv, as if nothing has happened.

"Care to explain?" I tried to calm my nerves.

"Come sit." Mom motioned me to take a seat on the couch, beside them.

"Mom-Dad, the Roka is definitely not happening anytime soon." I put my foot down.

"Vivek, trust us, this decision is certainly in both yours and Smriti's favor." Dad tried to explain to me, and well, anyone can say that he's not doing a good job at it.

Mom is better at explaining and, hence, she usually takes care of the speaking department. Dad is more about action and less about words and now that I think about it, thank God!

"I don't understand what's wrong with both of you. I don't get this impulsive decision that you both have taken without even feeling the need to take my opinion as well. You both have changed." I accused them, tiredly rubbing my face and taking a seat right opposite to them, on their bed.

"When we say the decision was in your interest, we mean it genuinely. Singhania Sahab was so adamant about his decision. If not you, it would have been someone else." Mom elaborated on Dad's words.

"He played you both and you let him! Do you think he will find anyone else except us for his daughter's marriage within the next two days?" I chuckled sadly.

"We are well aware of it, but isn't it better to get done with this without actually letting Smriti go through anymore mental agony than she's already going through? I'm honestly surprised that you didn't take her right away with you after whatever has happened today. It felt like we might actually have to welcome our daughter-in-law to our family today." Dad tried to show me their perspective.

"But what if she's not ready to marry me? What if she doesn't see a future with me at all?" I muttered, dropping myself on the bed, as the gravity of the situation slowly started sinking in.

"Vivek, you are a smart, mature 27-year-old doctor. I'm sure by now you would have at least figured out whether she is interested in taking things forward or not. At least I have noticed and if you have not, then you are pretty slow, young man." Mom mocked me, making my face drop further.

"Also, has Smriti told you anything about not having this Roka now? If yes, then I promise you son, that we will not have this Roka now." Dad assured me.

Well, now if I think about it, it doesn't take a genius to notice and understand how Smriti goes out of the way to make me feel comfortable and secured in this relationship. Also, she did tell me to not postpone this Roka, but I'm sure that partly does come from the fact that her parents are extremely embarrassing.

"But I had promised her to protect her always and a forced marriage certainly does not look like a step in that direction." I let my concerns bare in front of my parents.

"When you feel negative about something, always try to look at it from a different point-of-view before completely dismissing it. Smriti is already subjected to her family's taunts without any mistake of hers. Imagine if this Roka doesn't take place now, her parents would accuse her to death, for their made-up stories. When you have the responsibility of taking care of someone, you have to go to unimaginable extents to keep them safe." Mom helped me gain some clarity, yet again.