6. A Step Forward

Disclaimer: All the characters written below are imaginary and a work of pure fiction. There is no resemblance to any incident or situation and is written as a work of fiction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please do vote & comment your honest views on this chapter. It would motivate me a lot! <3

Smriti's POV -

I suddenly found myself so nervous about the arranged date I was going to go to, that I had to use the washroom for the 3rd time in the last hour.

"Smriti, come out fast! Vivek has arrived and is waiting for you downstairs. What is wrong with you?" Veena bhabhi was unnecessarily appalled.

I did my business quickly and looked in the mirror with assurance for one last time before I stepped out of my room alongwith Adhira & Bhabhi, only to find Vivek looking at me with awe.

My nervousness grew stronger and my hands started sweating as the handsome man started walking up to me.

"Shall we?" He asked and I hummed in response.

He led me to his car and even opened the door to the passenger seat for me like a gentleman.

The drive to the restaurant was very awkward. I didn't know what to say or what to do, so I steadied my gaze on the moving objects outside the window.

Soon enough, we reached the restaurant and Vivek once again pulled a chair for me and then sat right opposite me once I settled down.

I had been to this restaurant once before. My parents had booked this whole freaking restaurant for an evening to hold a success party on Adhira's successful completion of 11th class in science stream. The whole evening was so chaotic and unnecessary. And not to forget, the comparisons between us siblings had totally ruined my mood.

But today was different!

It was so calm unlike the other day. Vivek had booked us a table near the pool and the calming voice of the water and the gentle breeze soothed my nerves.

"Umm...I didn't know what exactly would appeal to your taste, so I chose this restaurant because of their wide variety of cuisines. But if you don't like this restaurant, we can go somewhere else where you would like to be." Vivek suddenly broke the silence.

"I like the ambience of this place. Your choice is lovely." I admitted meekly with a gentle smile.

He too returned the smile and I immediately looked down at the menu card placed in front of me to hide my...nervousness, maybe?

"How was your day today?" He asked me.

"It was good." I replied looking at my hands.

I know it must be getting annoying for him, but I can't help but feel awkward about this whole thing.

I wonder if this awkward tension between us will ever end?

He probably couldn't stand the tension in the air and hence he let out his apprehensions, bare in front of me, which I cleared out immediately without giving a second thought.

A small smile found its way to his lips.

He then went on to speak his mind. This was the first time we were having a proper conversation, a heart-to-heart conversation, and for the first time I felt all my awkwardness and nervousness fly out of the window.

After listening to Vivek's perspective on our situation, I felt relieved. Relieved to know that this man probably understands how I feel and is willing to take steps only if I'm comfortable. He truly is a good man. Matured too!