27. HYUNJIN'S BIRTHDAY SURPRISE

Hyunjin's Birthday Surprise

"You can light it," Nabi said.

She stood in front of one of the staff members with a cake in her hands. All the members were with her except for Hyunjin. The staff lit a match before using it to light the candle on the red icing-covered cake. Chan turned the lights off as the staff member snuck out of the back door of the room.

"When we see him it'll be a surprise. He'll be very surprised," Han said.

"Nabi-yah the door opens like this," Chan showed her before guiding her behind it as she carefully balanced the cake in her hands. "You need to stay hidden until he comes in."

The staff member that had helped Nabi with the cake's candles had left so she could help lure Hyunjin back into the room. He was confused when he opened the door and only darkness met him.

"What's happening? As soon as I came in the power went out," Hyunjin muttered. He pushed open the door some more before taking a step inside. Everyone came out of their hiding places and shouted, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!"

Han moved a little so Nabi could be in front of Hyunjin with his birthday cake as they all sang happy birthday to him.

"Blow out the candles oppa," Nabi told him.

Hyunjin was so surprised as well as really touched by what his members had done. They remembered his birthday and even surprised him when he didn't fully remember himself. He knew it was his birthday but he'd been so busy all day with school, dance practice, and recordings for their latest song. So he didn't think much about what today actually meant until he saw the members and heard their loud and very off-pitch happy birthday song to him.

"Make a wish," Chan said.

Hyunjin put his hands together as he closed his eyes and smiled.

"Okay!"

"1, 2, 3... " Han counted as Hyunjin opened his eyes and blew the candles out.

Jeongin flipped on the light switch and finally, everyone could see each other again. They were all clapping and cheering as Hyunjin stood there speechless and thankful.

"Happy Birthday!" Han congratulated him before hugging his best friend.

"Happy Birthday!" Changbin hugged Hyunjin next.

"What is this? I really didn't know," Hyunjin shyly mumbled.

"Our Hyunjinie," Chan fawned over him.

Jeongin took the cake from Nabi so she could hug Hyunjin too. He patted her head in a thank you as he kept on grinning.

"Happy Birthday! You're nineteen years old!"

(19 in Korean age. His international age is 18)

"I was really surprised," Hyunjin laughed as he got handed the cake. "Thank you," he said as he hugged the box the cake was on to his chest.

"Look here," Felix said as he held his phone up to take a picture of Hyunjin.

Hyunjin smiled and gave a thumbs-up.

He then laughed nervously, "You're making me embarrassed." He set the cake down on the nearby table. "What? Is it past midnight already?"

"Long past midnight," Nabi said.

"It went past midnight a while ago," Changbin said.

"Thank you, everyone," Hyunjin said again.

"Yes, thank you," Chan grinned as he pulled the cake closer to him playfully teasing Hyunjin that he'd steal it. "You guys did this for me," Chan said and smiled.

Everyone laughed at him as Hyunjin complained in tiny, "Yah! Yah!"

"When we were planning this, we actually wanted to faint when you came in," Han told him with a laugh.

"Yeah," Changbin nodded. "I.N-ah was good at it but Han stood there shaking and not knowing what to do. And Nabi-yah isn't good at naturally falling."

"Yeah, she was like this," Jeongin imitated and fell to the ground mockingly.

Nabi pretended to kick him with an annoyed smile on her face. Hyunjin just laughed at them. They were all really like a family now. It was crazy but also seriously comforting to know that they'd always be there, one step behind each other.

"What did you wish for?" Minho asked as Hyunjin sat down at the table.

"That we win the rookie awards," he mumbled.

"We will win the rookie awards oppa," Nabi reassured him with a bright smile.

Hyunjin looked up at her and nodded.

"Fighting!" Chan cheered them on.

"Let's cut the cake!" Han exclaimed.

"I'll do it," Jeongin offered.

"No, don't let the maknaes near the knives!" Chan shouted and panicked slightly.

"Chan oppa, didn't you hand me the matches earlier and tell me to light the candles?" Nabi asked him with a judging smile.

Minho chuckled and shook his head as he ended up being the one to cut the cake for them and Hyunjin while the rest bickered back and forth.

Yeah, just like a real family.