Chapter Four

Onyx froze in fear as the familiar sound of the Queen's heels, came closer, hitting hard on the stone floor in a steady rhythm. In a haste Onyx stood up, backing into the farthest wall, where Rok sat seemingly unbothered. Or so it appeared. The Half-breed, in response, stood as well and did something unexpected. In a smooth motion he took her hand in his, holding it gently yet firmly. The sudden movement caught Onyx off guard, making her wanted to rip her hand away immediately, living by her instinct not to trust anyone. But, at the same moment, she felt safe and secure in his grip, and surprisingly, found herself inching closer to him. Seeking refuge in his presence. She glanced up, to find his brown, kind eyes searching for hers. "I won't let her hurt you," he whispered in the soundless air.

-ooooo-

"Why are you here?" Rok demanded, stepping in front of Onyx, shielding her with his muscular frame, as if she were a fragile flower he was to protect.

"Well..." Queen Demeter began slowly, looking at her hand as she fiddled with her nails. "You did not play by my rules, and you know what I do to those whom break my rules."

Many brutal images of the Queen's punishments flashed through his mind like a flash of lightning. He sighed heavily, his eyes bore into her Violet gaze before firmly stating, "I know what you're going to ask of me, and I will not do it."

Demeter threw her head back, letting out a malicious laugh, "What makes you think I will be asking?" she retorted, her face adopting a devilish smile.

Rok could only wish he didn't know what she was about to say next, to instead, be far away so he could avoid hearing the words, to avoid hearing the choice he was to face. "No, don't say it, don't ask me to do this!" his mind screamed in an angry protest.

"I will put you both on building duties for a week, giving you a momentary pause in my arena," Demeter's smiled only grew as she watched his face spread with confusion. "You will be on the wall at first light tomorrow," she finished before turning and elegantly walking away without another word.

Relief flooded Rok's mind, but soon confusion followed. Doubt stormed in like a brewing tempest. He wondered yet again who this Onyx was, the girl whom Demeter clearly protected from death but instead kept confined and under the Queen's control.

He turned to Onyx, hoping to find answers, only to find confusion in her gaze as well. Her raven black hair, her piercing, golden, wolf-like eyes, her accent—It made him wonder if she held the key to the answers he sought. "But why? Why make her a fighter in your arena and potentially let her die for your amusement?" His mind wondered, as he started the endless searching for answers.

It wasn't long before Rok's eyelids began to feel heavy as lead. He glanced at Onyx for a moment, finding her still staring at the cell door, as she had earlier in the day. Watching intently. He assumed she was counting down the hours until first light.

-ooooo-

The air in the cell was heavy with silence, broken only by the calm, steady breaths of Rok's slumber. Onyx, however, couldn't bring herself to sleep. Sleeping was her weakest state, and she needed to remain alert. Sharing a cell with an Orc Half-breed, despite feeling an odd connection with him, she couldn't afford to place false trust. Beyond that, she needed to be fully conscious when the Queen arrived at first light. And it was morning, Onyx could sense it.

-ooooo-

"Wake up, you lump!" Onyx said hastily as she shook Rok's massive shoulders for what felt like the hundredth time. He slept leaned up against the stone wall, his arms crossed his chest as they rose and fell instinct with his breathing. Finally his lazy brown eyes, reluctantly opened, and for an awkward moment, they locked onto each other, glaring. "I am not a lump," Rok said as he slowly picked himself up, his voice groggy from just waking. Even despite hearing the Queen's steps drawing closer, Rok seem to have brought it upon himself to say even louder, "Excuse me for resting like a normal being!", He turned his head aggressively towards the cell door eyeing with irritation.

"There is no more time for resting Rok," the Queen's smooth voice answered as she appeared outside the cell without any of her loyal Orcs by her side. She was alone. Surprising Onyx, as she had always known the Queen to never be alone, especially when near herself.

"I trust you will follow me without question?"