Chapter Nineteen

The rhythmic sound of horse hooves striking cobblestone reverberated the wagon. Jade and Oldren had taken their places at the front of the wagon, their hands gripping the reins as they guided the horses forward. The wagon rolled along with deliberate slowness, blending in seamlessly with the bustle of the village streets.

Onyx and Rok huddled beneath the thick layer of hay, concealed from view. The hay provided enough cover to shield them from prying eyes, and they remained as still as possible, their breaths shallow and measured. Making them invisible once more to the corrupted world.

"Hold!" Onyx heard an outside voice that did not belong to Oldren nor the young boy that had joined their journey. As commanded the wagon slowed to a halt, stopping before the source of the voice.

The wagon came to a stop with a creak of wood and a jingle of harnesses. Beneath the cover of hay, Onyx's heart quickened its pace, her senses on high alert. From her concealed position, she strained to listen, her ears attuned to the sounds outside the wagon. The bustling village seemed to have fallen into an eerie hush, as if the world itself was holding its breath. Footsteps approached the wagon, slow and deliberate.

"What business do you have with us?" Oldren's voice, gruff as ever inquired, his tone carrying a mixture of skepticism and challenge.

The newcomer's voice was calm and measured, a stark contrast to the tension that had enveloped the scene. "Routine inspection," came the reply, the words dripping with authority. "Criminals hide in the darnedest of places." the more she listened, the more the voice sounded Orcish.

"Orcs, they must breed like rabbits for them to be everywhere I look!" Her mind quibbled.

"Routine inspection? We're just simple travelers, passing through." Jade's voice wavered, his attempt at maintaining composure evident in his words.

"For a theft he is a bad liar", Onyx thought to herself as the newcomer's footsteps drew closer, and her fingers instinctively tightened around the hilt of Rivana, whom was consoled in a sheath. Her breath caught in her throat, the weight of the situation pressing down on her. The sound of a parchment rustling filled the air, a silent exchange between the newcomer and Oldren.

The seconds stretched on, each one laden with uncertainty. The horses shifted restlessly, their unease a reflection of the tension that gripped the wagon. Onyx's heart beat a rapid rhythm, pounding hard like a drum.

The newcomer's voice returned, its tone unchanged. "Then you won't mind if we take a look, will you?" Onyx held her breath, her mind racing as she contemplated their options. The hay provided cover, but if the inspectors decided to search it, their concealment would be revealed. She exchanged a quick glance with Rok, her golden eyes reflecting a hint of fear.

"Look lad, we're in a hurry," Oldren's gruff voice responded, his tone refusing to yield ground.

"That's exactly why we can't afford to let criminals slip through.", The voice snapped back.

Jade's voice piped up again, a hint of desperation in his words. "Please, sir, we're just trying to make it to the next village before nightfall. We mean no harm." The tension escalated, the verbal battle between the newcomer and Oldren continuing. Each word spoken seemed to hang in the air like a blade's edge.

And as if the dire moment wasn't suffocating enough, the hay had tickled her nose and now—she felt a sneeze. "No, no, I will not let a stuped sneeze be my downfall! I would rather burn to death!" she scolded at herself, secretly hoping that she would scare her sneeze away. However she had to resort to holding her breath, each second felt like an eternity without air.

And then, as suddenly as the tension had mounted, the newcomer's voice broke the silence. "Move along then," came the curt command. "No need to waste time on nonsense!"

"Oh, thank the gods! I NEED to breathe!", she thought with a sudden sigh of relief as she inhaled deeply, gaining a confused glare from Rok.

Just as soon as the command came rains snapped, leaving behind the village in a haze. The cobblestone streets and the structures that had once held the promise of shelter and allies faded into the distance. With every passing moment, the village shrank, leaving Onyx and Rok with a new threat. Sith. But with darkness comes light, and perhaps even a new ally—Jade.