Chapter Six

Sturdy footsteps came closer to the stable, followed by the sound of a gruff voice. "Aye, I see the horses are ready!" he exclaimed, sounding somewhat surprised, as if he thought they would not follow the commands of a man half their size. 

Onyx regarded the Dwarf with a hint of regret; no, it wasn't his size that bothered her. Dwarves were known to be one of the fiercest of kins. But they were also known to be hard to work with, and they were hard-headed. But again, she had often heard the same rumors about herself.

Oldren Barrelshoulder approached with a confident stride, his curly auburn hair bouncing slightly with each step. He had changed into his armor, both leather and iron weaved together to make strong and formidable protection. The armor adorned his burly frame, fitting him like a second skin. The leather was weathered from years of use, bearing the marks of countless battles, while the iron plates gleamed with a polish that spoke of careful maintenance. On his shoulders, he wore metal plates, expertly curved to fit snugly onto his powerful shoulders. The plates were etched with intricate Dwarven symbols and designs, a testament to his heritage and pride. Each plate was strategically positioned to provide maximum protection without hindering his movement. The rest of his armor covered his chest, arms, and legs, all meticulously crafted to offer the utmost defense against any foe.

Hoisted onto his left shoulder was a large battle axe, polished and glimmering in the sun. You would think he would sound like a wagon of scrap metal, but instead only the sound of rubbing leather was heard.

His bright blue eyes sparkled with a mix of curiosity and skepticism as he assessed Onyx and Rok, and they both understood that look well.

"So yer ready to head north or not?" he asked as he grabbed the reins off of a buckskin mare.

-ooooo-

The dense forest seemed to stretch on endlessly, and the trail ahead was narrow and winding. The horses' hooves kicked up dirt and leaves as they pressed on, guided by the experienced hands of Oldren and Rok.

The air was thick with the scent of earth and nature, and the sounds of wildlife filled their ears—the chirping of birds, the rustling of small animals, and the occasional nicker of a bored steed. The towering trees formed a natural canopy above them, filtering the sunlight and casting patches of dappled light on the forest floor.

Rok, with his imposing presence, rode alongside Oldren, the two forming an unlikely yet formidable duo. Oldren's auburn curls bounced slightly with every movement, a stark contrast to the grizzled beard that adorned his weathered face. Rok's armor creaked softly as he guided his steed with ease, his eyes scanning the surroundings with a keen alertness.

Onyx followed close behind, her golden eyes darting between the trees as she maintained a watchful vigilance. The sound of her horse's hooves synchronized with the others, creating a rhythmic beat that echoed through the quiet forest.

As they rode on, the forest seemed to grow darker and denser, and the temperature dropped slightly as the sunlight struggled to penetrate the thick foliage. The sounds of wildlife were accompanied by the soft whisper of the wind, giving the impression that the forest itself was alive and watching.

Rok pulled his steed to a halt at a small clearing, "We'll stop here for the night" he announced to everyone. The others followed suit, halting their horses and dismounting.

"I'll take care of the horses, ye two just ready the camp" Oldren gruffly stated, as he pointed to the clearing.

"And I will make fire" Onyx said in her lively tone, some-how putting too much enthusiasm in the word—fire.

"I'll hunt for game?" Rok asked, unsure if he wanted to leave Onyx alone with this stranger. He still didn't know if the Dwarf could be fully trusted, and he didn't want to take any risk.

No one seemed to hear him, or maybe they thought he was going to go hunt for game no question asked. "Ok, I'll go hunt for game" he called out louder, hoping to be heard over the silenced thoughts of their busy minds.

-ooooo-

As Rok walked away from the camp, his mind was fraught with unsettling thoughts. He couldn't shake the feeling of unease that had settled in the pit of his stomach. The forest around him seemed to close in, the trees towering like dark sentinels watching his every move.

His thoughts raced, painting vivid and disturbing scenarios in his mind, all involving Onyx in perilous situations. The bond they had formed, the trust they had built, made the mere idea of losing her unbearable. He couldn't bear the thought of any harm coming to her, and the uncertainty of their current situation only amplified his anxiety.

Despite his attempts to focus on the task at hand—to hunt for food for the group—his thoughts kept drifting back to Onyx. He was torn between wanting to protect her and feeling frustrated that he couldn't shield her from every potential danger.

Rok knew that he couldn't let fear control him, that he needed to stay vigilant and focused on their mission. He had seen enough of the world to know that danger lurked in unexpected places, and he couldn't let his guard down. Not to even the kindest stranger.