Chapter Five

"Me name is Oldren Barrelshoulder, what's yer's?" he said with curiosity. Onyx and Rok exchanged glances, the unspoken understanding passing between them. They knew they couldn't reveal their true identities, they could not become vulnerable like this. Onyx took the lead, her mind quickly conjuring up fake names for both of them.

"My name is Lyra," she said confidently, deciding to go with something that felt close enough to her real name without giving away too much. As Rok opened his mouth about to say his chosen fake name, Onyx abruptly barged in, "And this—is Fluffy", she said quickly as she patted his back.

Rok raised an eyebrow at her choice, but he played along redundantly. "Yes I'm... Fluffy," he said hesitantly, glaring down at her, trying not to give in to her amusement.

Oldren's eyes widened, and he choked on his Ale, almost spilling his second tankard in the process. "Fluffy?" he repeated incredulously, looking at Rok with a mix of surprise and humor. "Are yer serious lad?"

Onyx had to bite her lip to prevent herself from laughing, seeing the genuine disbelief in Oldren's expression. Rok shot her a slightly annoyed look, as if to say, "Really, Fluffy of all names?"

Trying to maintain their composure, Onyx spoke quickly, hoping to distract Oldren from the hilarity of Rok's new and improved name. "Yes, Fluffy here might have a peculiar name, but it's grown on him over the years," she said, her eyes glinting with mischief.

Oldren shook his head, still finding it hard to believe. "Well, Lyra and... err.. Fluffy," he said, emphasizing Rok's name with an amused grin, "If yer truly looking fer allies, I may be of use"

Onyx and Rok exchanged surprised glances, not expecting Oldren's offer of help so soon.

Oldren leaned back on his stool before continuing farther, "I've seen the effects of Queen Demeter's rule on these lands," he said, his voice tinged with a gruff sadness. "Her forces have caused suffering and pain to innocent folk, and I can't say I'm fond of her reign either."

He paused, studying Onyx and Rok intently. "But I'll be honest with ye both. If yer looking for allies, ye need to prove yer worth and commitment," he said, his eyes unwavering. "Actions speak louder than words, and I won't put me neck on the line for any random travelers."

Onyx understood the gravity of his words. Oldren's caution was justified, and they needed to demonstrate their dedication to the cause. "We understand," she said firmly. "And we stand against Queen Demeter's tyranny."

Rok chimed in, his voice resolute. "We're willing to prove ourselves, to take on whatever challenges lie ahead," he said. "We seek to make a difference and free both ourselves, and this land from oppression."

Oldren nodded approvingly, the amusement from earlier replaced with a more serious demeanor. "Good," he said, "I like yer determination. And I am tired of running a tavern, me bones were built fer fighting so—" He stopped with a wide grin, "were to Lyra and fluffy?"

-ooooo-

Rok stood at the stables, onyx by his side as she always was. Oldren had told them to ready three horses, and wait. Waiting—Rok couldn't stand it. His mind would refuse to think of anything but a trap. Especially with onyx being who she was. But he decided to take this moment to talk to Onyx about her choice of names, especially his—Fluffy.

He turned his gaze at Onyx, and it didn't take her long to fill his eyes upon her. For she too, turned her gaze towards him.

"Fluffy, huh?" he said, his voice tinged with irritation. "You had quite the creative choice there."

Onyx chuckled softly, a mischievous glint in her golden eyes. "Well, I couldn't resist," she replied, a playful smirk forming on her lips. "It was either that or something more generic and.. where's the fun in that?"

Rok shook his head, still finding it hard to believe he was going by the name Fluffy. "You don't seem to understand, this is my name now. This first word that comes to mind, the word that summons me. And I—for one—don't feel that Fluffy matches who I am" He explained to Onyx with a grumpy tone about him.

Onyx shrugged. "Your right, I should have told him Grumpy was your name,". Her eyes still holding their bright, mischievous glint.

Rok's irritation softened slightly as he caught the mischievous look on Onyx's eyes. He couldn't help but chuckle at her comment. "Grumpy, huh? Well, that might be more accurate," he replied, his tone still gruff but with a hint of amusement.

Onyx grinned, enjoying the banter between them. "See, I knew there was a better name out there for you," she said, playfully nudging him with her elbow.

Rok rolled his eyes, but a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "I suppose Grumpy isn't much better, but I'll take it over Fluffy any day," he said.

Their lighthearted exchange helped ease the tension of waiting for Oldren and the uncertain future ahead. Rok knew Onyx was just trying to lighten the mood and bring some levity to the situation, and he appreciated her efforts. She had always found humor, and he envied her child-like demeanor. Even through all she has endured she still held onto her spirit.

She had opened his eyes and helped him see the Queen for who she was. She had been the last straw he needed to break away from the tight, suffocating grip he had been under. He remembered when he would have killed anyone the Queen had asked him too, He would have sacrificed himself without a single thought if it was for the betterment of her. And now all he could think about was how to protect Onyx from the evil grip of the greedy Queen he had once adored. And how he would do anything—even die—for Onyx.