Chapter Thirteen

"Rok what are you doing", Onyx's voice cut through the air, curiosity evident in her tone. She stood in the doorway of the room watching Rok as he sat cross legged on the inn bed, clearly lost in thought. The soft lamplight cast a warm glow over the worn wooden furnishings, creating a sense of quiet intimacy within the room.

Rok's dark eyes lifted from their distant contemplation, meeting Onyx's gaze. His features, usually etched with a sense of calm and kindness, hardened as he regarded her.

"Nothing," he replied at last, releasing a long sigh. His gaze drifted away, fixing on the closed window as if seeking solace in the world beyond the glass. The air became still, like the calm before a storm. It became all to clear to Onyx that Rok was swirling inside with emotions—and she knew it evolved her.

"I know," She started, breaking the still silence that had consumed the room. Her was voice quiet but strong, like a prowling predator. "I know you believe I made the wrong choice by telling Oldren." She closed her eyes briefly, gathering her thoughts before continuing. "But how else can we stand a chance against the Queen, Rok? The secrets can suffocate us just as easily as our enemies can." she opened her eyes revealing a determined fiery glow.

Rok's anger surged forth, his usually controlled countenance now betraying a flash of rage. He jumped to his feet, the movement abrupt and forceful. "Do you think exposing yourself to Oldren is the solution, Onyx? Do you think it's worth the risk?" His voice, laced with a restrained intensity, crackled with a mixture of anger and concern.

He paced a few steps, his dark gaze locked onto hers, "We are treading in treacherous waters, and you seem to underestimate the danger you've put yourself in. You've gambled not just with your own life, but with all of ours. We've been cautious, hiding in plain sight, and now you've thrown it all into disarray." His chest heaved, his jaw clenched—yet still a loyal and kind look broke through the wall of anger. He loved Onyx far too much to ever hurt her, in any way.

However Onyx met his gaze head-on, her own resolve unwavering. "I understand your anger, Rok. But hiding in the shadows isn't going to free us nor land from the Queen's grasp. We need allies, even if they come with risks." Her tone was steady, matching his intensity.

The room seemed to hold its breath as they faced each other, their differing viewpoints and passions colliding in a potent clash. But their charged standoff was abruptly shattered by a gruff yelp that echoed from the ground below, a voice that brought both concern and intrigue.

"Oldren?" Onyx whispered, her worry evident, while Rok simply muttered, "Dwarf?"

-ooooo-

Chaos. That was the only word that could be used to describe the situation. Oldren picked himself up off the ground, grumbling under his breath as he brushed off his sturdy, stubby hands. He looked up, his bushy eyebrows furrowing in a mix of irritation and determination, only to be met with the looming threat of the three towering orcs that had emerged from the shadows earlier.

There Oldren had been, minding his own business and enjoying a moment of respite, walking back to the inn after scouting out the bustling village. The sun was beginning its descent, casting a warm golden hue over the cobblestone streets, when suddenly—three ugly, pugged-faced orcs emerged as if conjured from the very depths of his annoyance. Their brutish snarls and the malicious gleam in their beady eyes made it abundantly clear that they hadn't come for a friendly chat. No, Oldren could sense trouble from a mile away, and these three were nothing but trouble.

His fingers instinctively tightened around the handle of his trusty war axe, the weapon that had seen him through countless battles and close calls. And though it had been quite some time since he used the weapon, or picked it up for the matter—the worn leather grip felt reassuringly familiar in his grasp as if he had used it yesterday.

"Come at me! What, ya scared of a little Dwarf?" he spat out, gesturing to his small, yet sturdy frame. He squared his shoulders, his stocky frame radiating a stubbornness that matched his fiery challenge. His heart pounded in his chest, a feeling he missed.

The orcs exchanged glances, their grotesque features contorting into sneers of amusement at the sight of the stout dwarf standing before them. They were larger, certainly, with brutish muscles and gnarled weapons, but Oldren's gaze remained unflinching. He had faced tougher opponents in his time, and he wasn't about to back down now.

"Where are they!", the biggest, ugliest one stepped forward demandingly. "Ah, ya came looking for them two" he thought, his mind flashing to Onyx and Rok. "should have know them two trouble makers were yer target, welp, let's add a Dwarf to the mix shall we?" he thought amusedly, with a twinge of guilt for looking forward to the clash between him and the Orcs.

"Well, now lads, ya have to be a bit more specific than that" he drawled, his voice carrying a mix of defiance and amusement. His lips curled into a wry grin as he eyed the trio of orcs before him, "A description would be–"

"Looking for us?" a familiar female voice chimed in, too familiar. Onyx's confident and commanding presence filled the air, her sword gleaming in the lamplight as it rested by her side. An eager smile played upon her lips, a mischievous gleam in her eyes that betrayed the dangerous excitement she felt.

Rok stood by her side, his arms crossed over his chest, his expression unreadable. Dark brown eyes, watched the orcs with a cool detachment, his aura radiating a sense of calm resolve that contrasted with Onyx's visible enthusiasm.

"Look at these two, taking away a Dwarf's simple pleasure in life," he thought with a touch of annoyance, though deep down, he couldn't help but feel a hint of affectionate amusement as he watched Onyx and Rok banter.

Oldren's lips curled into a smirk. "Seems like we've got ourselves a bit of a dance, don't we?" he mused, a glint of mischief in his eyes. He welcomed back the thrill of battle once more.