Chapter Sixteen

All the subjects began to leave, causing the throne room to become bare once more. Rok found that he was eager to leave and get to Onyx, he wanted to tell her all he had learned. The dangers that lurked, threatening a war to be on the rise. And perhaps he wanted to tell her that, she didn't have to stay so distant. He didn't quite feel like she was an evil sorcerer seeking to abuse her abilities. To him, she was just a misunderstood young woman, burdened by the weight of responsibility, a weight she had carried alone for far too long.

"Rok, stay, I want to talk to you privately" Queen Demeter called out to him.

He stopped and turned walking back to her hoping this 'talk' would be short. "Yes my queen?" he said bowing slightly.

"I suppose you still have a connection with Onyx?" The queen said once all the Orcs left.

"Perhaps," Rok answered hesitantly, unsure of the Queen's intentions.

"You must be careful what you tell Onyx" Queen Demeter replied, her gaze steady on Rok. "But above all I need you to keep today's knowledge from her,"

Rok's mind filled with suspicion, "Yes your Majesty." he answered, refusing to let show any disloyalty towards her.

"Thank you, Rok. I hope I can trust you as I did once before," Queen Demeter said, her voice softening slightly.

Rok nodded respectfully. "You have my loyalty, Your Majesty. Our past is in the past, we shall put that behind us." He assured her. "I will be cautious with my words, as you request."

With a nod of approval, Queen Demeter dismissed him, and with him pieces that began to fit in place.

-ooooo-

Onyx laid sprawled out on the soft carpet floor of her room. The sunlight poured in through the open doorway of the balcony, casting warm rays across the chamber. She had deliberately left all the doors open, trying to ease the sense of confinement that often plagued her.

Her keen ears caught the sound of hesitant footsteps outside her open door. "It is safe; you may come inside," she called out, sure it was Rok. She quickly sat up, her wolf-like gaze fixed on him as he entered with a torn expression.

"Rok?" Onyx called out to him, concern evident in her voice. "What is wrong?" Her eyes searched his face for any sign of distress or trouble. She had, deep–down, felt a connection with him and grown to appreciate his company.

His gaze fell on her cuffs, and then her fiery golden eyes. "Onyx you don't deserve to be locked up like some caged animal. I want to help you find a way to be free from the queen's grip." Rok said his gaze soft as he placed a hand on Onyx's shoulder. "But if I do this, I will break my loyalty with the Queen, and I will become a fugitive and will be wanted for the highest of treason."

Onyx felt speechless, the only thought running through her mind was "What have I done to make this Orc lose his mind". "I don't understand, why? Why do you care about me?" Onyx frantically began asking Rok as her shock wore off.

"I see a brave young woman, abused by power and corruption. I see someone who has much to live for, I want to give you your life back. I see the queen for who she truly is now," Rok explained with a soft calm voice, his kind, dark brown eyes staring into hers.

She hated it, the feeling of being loved by someone. Someone that would get hurt, a kind soul that didn't deserve it. She couldn't allow herself to get close to anyone again, not after the pain she had endured in the past. Love and affection only led to heartbreak, and she couldn't bear the thought of someone else getting hurt because of her.

"Don't feel that way, not towards me, Rok," she said, her voice distant and detached, as though deliberately trying to push him away. "I'm not worth your kindness. I'm not worth anyone's love."

"I don't believe that, Onyx," Rok replied, his voice gentle but firm.

A mix of emotions swirled inside Onyx as she looked at Rok, torn between pushing him away and allowing him to help. The fear of being hurt again battled with the longing for freedom and companionship.

"Please, just go," she finally whispered, her voice breaking.

Rok nodded, "I'll go for now," he said gently, "But know that I have made up my mind Onyx, I won't stop trying to help you, no matter how hard you push me away."

With those words, Rok left the room, leaving Onyx feeling conflicted and overwhelmed. Leaving Onyx wondering if maybe, just maybe, she had found someone she could trust and rely on—someone who could help her break the chains that bound her. But for now, she remained guarded, wary of the love that had once caused her so much pain.