Chapter Ten

Onyx walked hastily through the halls, finding herself lost in the grand labyrinth. She struggled to find the dining room where she knew the Queen would be awaiting, and so would Rok. And she, now bathed and in a dress, found herself late to her first dining with the Queen. However, she continued to walk down the halls with much determination.

As she wandered through the twisting corridors, unsure of where each turn would lead, she caught the sound of familiar voices echoing through the palace. Among them was Queen Demeter's commanding voice. Her ears perked up, and she followed the sound to a grand room, its doors wide open and inviting, with a long table at its center full of platers of the feast. The aroma of roasted meat filled the air, yet even still she found herself not hungry, for the likes of food that was.

Cautiously, she entered the room, her bare feet making small, nervous steps towards the full table. Her eyes darted from the Orcish guards surrounding it, to the imposing Queen at its head.

"Stop looking so pitiful; you are stronger than them all, by heart alone," she harshly reminded herself as she took a deep breath and adopted a cold, undisturbed look. "Where shall I sit?" she asked the Queen, mustering up her most elegant tone.

"Here," said the Queen, motioning to a chair on her right, with Rok seated on her left. Queen Demeter occupied the head of the table, her presence both commanding and graceful. Onyx bowed slightly as she walked to her designated seat, and sat down. She couldn't help but sense the stiffness in the air since her arrival, however she felt she wasn't the only one.

"This is Onyx," the Queen announced to the feast, "And as you can see, she is now free to roam my castle." she said, breaking the awkward silence. "I demanded not harm to come to her" She announced to her guards.

"Yes, we know who she is," remarked one of the Orcs with a haughty tone, rolling his eyes dismissively. The others around him stifled smirks and exchanged amused glances.

"What we want to know, your majesty, is why you allowed him his duties as commander!" The Orc demanded, smashing his fist into the table with a loud thud. Angrily glaring into Rok's gaze with fuming rage in his own beady eyes.

"As your Queen, I have made this decision both for the better of the kingdom and for personal purposes," the Queen replied firmly.

"Forgive me majesty, but your reasons seem more personal than for the better of this kingdom" The stranger remarked, his tone remaining haughty.

"I don't remember giving you permission to speak, nor permission to question my authority as your Queen!" She snapped back, her voice cutting through the tension in the room like a sharp blade. With a commanding position, she rose from her seat, her regal figure towering above the table. The room seemed to hold its breath as her eyes radiated with an aura of power that demanded respect.

The silence in the room was palpable, as everyone's attention was fixated on the Queen's formidable form. Even the Orc who had spoken out seemed momentarily taken aback by the forcefulness of her response. The weight of her authority seemed to press down on the entire gathering, leaving no doubt as to who held the true power in the palace.

The Queen's voice softened slightly, but her authority remained untouched. "I assure you, every decision I make is for the betterment of my kingdom," she said, her words carrying a sense of conviction that demanded obedience. "As your Queen, I have returned Rok as the commander, not merely a personal matter; it is based on his skills, loyalty, and dedication he has given to the realm in his past."

The Orc bowed his head in reluctant acknowledgment. "I meant no disrespect, Your Majesty," he muttered, his tone subdued. "I only wished to understand the reasons behind your choices."

The Queen's stern gaze softened, and she returned to her seat, the tension in the room easing slightly. "Questions are not unwelcome in my court," she replied with a touch of grace. "But know this, I will not hesitate to defend my decisions." She held her head high, addressing the feast, "As for the rest of you, if you have questions or accusations regarding my choices as your Queen, know this, my decisions are not made for myself. They are for the wealth of this kingdom."

Onyx was silent, somewhat enjoying the Queen addressing everyone but her. Watching the drama with an amused look upon her golden eyes.

"As for Onyx-" the Queen started once again, "she is an asset to this kingdom, and she is to be kept safe and strong," The Queen's words seem to echo throughout the room. In that moment Onyx look up only to find Rok's gaze painted with a suspicious, questioning, glare looking back at her. His dark brown eyes drawing her in, "So the truth comes out a little at a time" his thoughts rang out.