Chapter Fifteen

Night took over like the cancerous war he fought endlessly. No moon shone, no stars illuminated the night sky, no owls called, no wolves sang. Only the silence. Erie as it was he found himself welcoming it, wishing it would stay ever so still. Perhaps then chaos would simply—end. No, what fantasy was he dreaming up? War. No matter the cost. No matter the consequences. No matter the loss, the pain. It would still find its way back to corrupt the weakest mind, those so easily won over by greed. By the promise of power and wealth. It would always find someone. Demeter was that someone. And she needed to be stopped. But now he found himself wondering if the one he loved most, was just as easily allured in by its seductive grip.

"I need to stop it before it takes her away from me!" his mind screamed at him, he couldn't bear the mere thought of losing her.

Her innocence, her pure heart, her smile. The world would become meaningless. Without her very essence it would become an empty waste land of lost hope and dreams. Without her, there was no meaning to all of it. Not to life. Not to war. Not even to the reason of fighting. She was his reason—for doing it all. She was his only reason. And as selfish as it sounded, Rok needed her.