Chapter Twenty-Two

Cool morning air pushed past their faces, the sun had risen and the cool morning air along with it. Rok had stopped at a serene creek, Onyx followed suit, pulling back her reins, causing her steed to halt. They were surrounded by lush green trees, and the undying calls of nearby birds filled the air with a peaceful melody.

Onyx stepped off her horse slowly, her legs and back still sore from the fall she had taken. Her eyes quickly scanned the peaceful surroundings as she led her horse to the edge of the flowing creek, its gentle ripples reflecting the morning light. Both horses were breathing heavily after running endlessly through the night, their coats now lathered in a sheen of sweat.

The two of them took a moment to catch their breath, the adrenaline from their escape still coursing heavily through their veins. Rok dismounted and joined Onyx at the creek, both horses finding solace in the freshwater, their parched throats drinking deeply. She too knelt down, cupping her hands taking a drink from the cold creek, refreshing herself after the long night. She then turned her attention to Rok whom had stayed silent throughout the morning.

Onyx sensed that Rok was still harboring frustration, and she knew they needed to address it. "I know you're angry, Rok," she said, her voice low and weary. "So just let it out easily, say what's on your mind."

Rok's anger was evident as he responded, his voice carrying a mix of anger and concern. "I just don't understand why you took such a risk back there! You were only supposed to retrieve your precious sword and leave through the courtyard like I did. Instead, you went after the Queen like some kind of assassin!" Rok's voice elevated, causing his chest to heave.

Onyx smiled wearily, acknowledging his concern. "Wow, big guy, not exactly easy," she replied, trying to lighten the mood with a hint of tired amusement. But Rok's concern wasn't easily assuaged.

"You just seem to forget that we are in this together," Rok sighed, his voice filled with frustration and sincerity. "Every time you take a risk, you put both of us in danger, you risk dragging me down with you. You don't seem to realize that your actions affect me too."

As Onyx listened, her expression hardened. "I didn't force you to come with me nor to help me," she responded quietly, her eyes locking onto his. "You chose to be by my side, and for that, I'm grateful. But if you find yourself in danger because of my actions—there is none to blame but yourself."

Rok became silent, perhaps it was because he knew what Onyx said was true, or perhaps he was just angry and wanted some silence to think. But Onyx knew Rok was loyal and she knew Rok was her best ally—if she let him in.

They both stared into the woods across the creek, leagues of untamed wilderness awaiting them. Freedom staring them in the faces, just waiting to be claimed. Their story was far from over—it was just—the beginning.     

Thus begins, The Chronicles of Onyx