Chapter Fourteen

Rok observed the Queen, his mind still grappling with questions about why she had restored his power as commander. He walked alongside her as they made their way towards the stables, the hard sound of their footsteps upon cobblestone echoing through the castle grounds.

At the stables, the Queen's other guards swiftly prepared her royal steed, a magnificent dapple gray stallion. The horse exuded strength and elegance, its coat shimmering under the sunlight after being groomed, its oiled tack shone under the bright sun. The Orc guard handling the steed bowed with respect as he presented it to the Queen.

"Your majesty," he said with reverence, holding the steed steady for the Queen to mount.

Queen Demeter gracefully climbed onto the horse, adjusted her reins once atop, showing her mastery in handling the spirited creature. Her violet eyes met Rok's, and she spoke with a mix of formality and warmth.

"Rok, your ride awaits you in the stable," Demeter advised.

Rok nodded, his loyalty to the Queen warring with the thoughts of Onyx and the many secrets the Queen held. Despite his uncertainties, he had a duty to fulfill, and so he made his way to the stable where his own trusted steed was prepared.

"Just play along, you want to live don't you?" He warned himself, reminding himself of the promise of death if he did anything hastily.

The stable master, a kind-hearted young Orcish boy, greeted Rok with a friendly smile. "Ah, here's your steed," he said, leading a sturdy black stallion towards him. Brown, spirited eyes reflecting his own.

Rok patted the steed's strong neck, power rippling underneath the obsidian coat. Hooves dancing eagerly on the hay covered cobblestoned stable floor. Adrenaline coursing through Rok as he mounted the steed, the feeling he often got before a ride. But beyond that, was the mixture of conflicting emotions circling him. He had always been devoted to the Queen, but his growing suspicions about her intentions, left him torn.

"Where to, your majesty?" Rok asked the Queen with a questioning tone, as though unsure to trust her lead.

Queen Demeter looked at Rok with a thoughtful expression, considering her answer. "To the outskirts of the kingdom," she replied at last. "There have been reports of strange sightings in the forest, and I wish to investigate personally.", her voice carrying an air of authority.

Rok nodded, keeping his true feelings hidden. He had learned to be cautious with his words around the Queen, knowing that her regal exterior could hide a web of intrigue he never sought to look out, before now. "As you wish, Your Majesty," he replied, acknowledging her command.

With a subtle nudge of her heels, Queen Demeter urged her steed forward, and Rok followed suit, riding alongside her. They made their way towards the outskirts of the kingdom, the castle slowly fading behind them as they entered the secretive coverage of the forest.