Chapter One

The small group made their way through the winding trees, their footsteps muffled by the thick carpet of fallen leaves. The forest was alive with the songs of birds, and the gentle murmur of the light breeze rustling the treetops.

Rok took the lead, his keen eyes scanning their surroundings with a watchful gaze. His muscular frame was adorned with worn leather armor, and his long, earthy hair now flowed freely down past his shoulders. Despite the tranquil beauty of the forest, a sense of unease lingered in the air, a feeling that had become all too familiar in recent days.

Onyx followed closely behind Rok, her form moving gracefully through the dense foliage. Her golden eyes, sharp and observant, flickered with a hint of restlessness. However Jade, the young elven thief, trailed loudly behind Onyx. The sound of cracking sticks filled the air as his boots clumsily fell upon them. And, unsurprisingly, it was Oldren whom trailed far behind, effortlessly wandering through the trees. His eyes held a bored look as if the lack of obvious danger was too uneventful for his liking.

"So if ye have known of these kin, why didn't ya go there when... I don't know, yer first escaped the Queen?" Oldren called out to Onyx, attempting at a sarcastic tone. But to be honest, Rok agreed with the Dwarf's question.

Onyx had been reserved with her information when she was asked how she knew of the Direwolves. But he assumed she had told enough. What mattered now was the fact they would be far from the Queen's grasp, and instead at the hands of the Direwolves. A potential ally. Or even better, a potential army.

But even still, over a week later Onyx's frame of mind remained changed after mentioning the Direwolves. As if the word alone conjured up unwanted memories, just as the mere motion of Sith's name had done to him.

Onyx's pace slowed as Oldren's question reached her ears. She turned to look at the dwarf, her golden eyes holding a hint of sorrow. "It's complicated, Oldren," Onyx responded, making it clear she didn't want to explain her reasoning behind her actions.

Rok shot a glance at Onyx, he had sensed that there was more to her story than she had revealed, but he had learned not to push her too hard for answers. Onyx had her secrets, just as they all did, and he respected her boundaries. Just as she, his.

"Complicated or not," Jade chimed in, his voice carrying a touch of impatience, "I'm just glad we're getting as far away from the scary Queen as possible. These Direwolves, are they friendly?"

Everyone seemed to stop in their tracks and turn their heads towards Onyx as if she held all the answers. Onyx took a deep breath, her gaze shifting from one expectant face to another. "I don't know, we all change after a manner of time I suppose it has been quite some time, enough time," she answered back, though Rok was sure he heard her whisper, "It's been more than enough,", under her breath. However he wasn't entirely sure.

Jade's impatient demeanor persisted, "I hope this isn't some wild goose chase," he muttered under his breath.

Oldren grunted in agreement, his skepticism never far from the surface. "Aye, we better find these Direwolves soon, or I'll start thinkin' this was all a waste of time."

Onyx cast a sidelong glance at Jade and Oldren, her expression tinged with a mix of amusement and exasperation. "Patience, you t-" she abruptly cut off. Her words were cut short due abruptly by the unmistakable sound of crunching leaves.

Rok's instincts kicked in, and he drew his sword with a fluid motion, his eyes scanning the forest for any signs of danger. His heart raced, and he could sense the tension in the air. The forest, once serene and peaceful, had suddenly become a place of uncertainty and danger.

From behind Onyx emerged a hooded figure, moving with eerie swiftness. In their hands, they held something that seemed innocuous at first glance – a potato sack. But Rok's instincts screamed at him, the intent behind it was far from innocuous.

Before anyone could react, Onyx was bound, her struggles in vain against the relentless hands of the figure. The forest around them seemed to close in, as more hooded figures emerged from the shadows, encircling them like a pack of predators.

Rok heard Jade's frantic voice calling out a warning, but it was too late. Darkness engulfed him. He was blinded. His sword betrayed him as it did nothing to help. The last thing he remembered was the sensation of helplessness, the feeling of being utterly at the mercy of unknown foes. The forest had betrayed them, its beauty now a deceptive mask hiding the lurking dangers within.

Then everything faded out.