Thirty

a short fluffy chapter before all the chaos ensues

Jungkook's pov:

The rain poured heavily against the window panes, thunder roared over the sound of the tv and lightening lit up the room for mere moments before dissipating once again.

It had been two weeks since I got the call from the police about bringing Taehyung's case to trial, and we've finally got a date.

Next Saturday, 9:30am, 10 days time.

It was currently Wednesday evening, and Taehyung had been sat at the kitchen island since we got home.

From finding out we now have a date, to anxiously waiting for it, Taehyung's completely submerged himself in his studies as a way to take his mind off the upcoming trial.

It's a positive because Taehyung has exams coming up and so he's been given a reason to put his all into something. But it's also a bad thing because my baby hasn't slipped. Not in over a week.

I know he's anxious and stressed about seeing his dad again, nervous for his upcoming exams and how he'll do. Quite frankly, I think my bun has too much on his plate. But unfortunately, it's not something I can change.

I sigh and get up from the sofa, the movie i'm currently watching seeming a bit repetitive at this point and I stretch out my joints and crack my back.

All the art exams for this quarter of the term were finalised and marked as part of the exhibition. So exam season for me as a professor is quite quiet.

I walk into the kitchen to see Taehyung sat up on one of the high stools, not having moved from where I last checked on him an hour ago. Writing away in his maths textbook.

"how are you getting on?" I ask, letting my chin rest on his shoulder.

Taehyung jumps for a second at my sudden appearance but gives me a warm smile.

"okay" he mumbles, before going back to scribbling equations down into the practice section of the book.

"do you want something to eat? we kind of had an early dinner tonight." I tell him, checking the time to see it's coming up to 7pm. We had dinner as soon as we got home.

But Taehyung just shakes his head, mumbling under his breath about not being hungry. Although the sentence trailed off before he could finish it, too engrossed in what he's currently doing.

"how about a drink then? I can make you tea? a smoothie? a hot chocolate?" I say, whispering the last one right into his ear, letting my cheek rest back on his shoulder so I can stare at him.

Taehyung smiles at this and playfully rolls his eyes.

"okay, i'll have a hot chocolate please" he gives me a warm smile and I coo, giving him a kiss before standing back up.

"one hot chocolate coming up."

I know he's probably consuming too much of this unhealthy beverage. But everything else he eats is all healthy home cooked meals by me. And besides, whilst it's still so cold out, i'll let my baby enjoy his favourite drink. Because once it reaches summer he won't be able to. And we're still working on his eating habits. They're getting better, but Taehyung still has days where he doesn't want to eat anything at all.

So if he wants a hot chocolate, he can of course have one.

Taehyung doesn't even register that i've placed the drink down next to him on the island. He's mumbling words under his breath as he quickly scribbles down anything and everything he remembers for a module. But it's here when i'm watching him that I notice the slight bags under his eyes and the way his back is hunched probably painfully.