Chapter 10

Serkan woke up in the middle of the night to whimpers of pain. He jumped quickly off the couch and sat on the bed. Eda was crying through her sleep, embracing her knee.

"Eda." He shook her gently. "Eda, what is going on?"

"It hurts." She mumbled, keeping her eyes shut. 

Serkan got off the bed to look for painkillers and pain relief gel. She didn't take them in the evening. He poured a glass of water and sat next to Eda.

"Eda, wake up." He called her, and she opened her eyes, looking a little confused. "Take that. It will help you with your pain." 

Eda sat on the bed without a word and took pills.

"Is it worst than earlier?" Serkan asked with concern, and she nodded, wincing when she bent her knee, trying to sit more comfortably.

Serkan helped her lean back on the headboard, took a small pillow, and placed her leg over it. He opened the pain relief gel and put a small amount on her knee. Eda hissed at the contact of cold gel with her skin.

"Are you going to whine about something like this? I thought you were used to injuries." Serkan couldn't help himself and teased her.

"I am." Eda grumbled. "But it doesn't mean it hurt less every time."

Serkan started massaging Eda's knee. "Is it hurting when I do that?"

"No, it's actually helping. I didn't know you could do that."

"I know the basics of sports massages. You aren't the only athlete here." Serkan smirked, and Eda raised her brows.

"I suppose it wasn't fencing."

"Fencing is just fun for me. I competed seriously in show jumping. Fifi is not the only champion in the family. I was her first coach."

"Why did you stop?" She asked with curiosity, and Serkan shrugged his shoulders, but something in his eyes told her that whatever was the reason, it wasn't a nice memory.

"I didn't want to do it anymore. I didn't have enough time, and I preferred to focus on my studies. I officially finished my career four years ago. After all, I achieved every title there, so I moved on to different goals." Serkan answered, smiling smugly.

"Always so full of yourself."

"I was twice at Olimpics. Try to beat that. You have only gold at World's." He smirked at her, and Eda rolled her eyes.

"And do you have an Olympic medal?" She asked in a mocking tone.

"Two golds."

"It's a niche sport."

"And fencing is very popular?" Serkan chuckled. "Horse riding is quite big here."

"You had an advantage as the Olympics happened just when you got to the required age."

"You were a baby for London, but you could be in Rio." Serkan remarked, still massaging her leg.

"I sprang my ankle then." Eda pouted.

"Jumping out of the window on the first floor?" Serkan asked, trying to contain his chuckle, and had to dodge the pillow she threw at him. 

"Did you start riding in the school here?"

"No, I was riding since I remember here and in Turkey. That was the main thing me and my brother did. We had a stable in Istanbul, and we used to run there all the time, even when no one was watching." Something changed in Serkan's eyes, and the tone of his voice alarmed Eda.