Chapter 7: Exam Duel (Part 2)

Here's what happens next with the outcome of the duel between the two brilliant students. Feel free to vote if you like it, or to comment.

Jaden's point of view

LP Alexia: 4000

Cyber Angel Daikini: ATK: 2700-DEF: 2400

Cyber Prima: ATK: 2300-DEF: 1600

LP Selya: 1500

The situation was not the most comfortable for Selya. If she didn't reverse the trend in her turn, the duel was likely to be cut short.

Alexia: I end my turn by laying down a card. I activate the effect of my Daikini, allowing me to add a ritual monster from my graveyard to my hand.

So, she took out a ritual monster card from her graveyard, before adding it to her hand. I wondered which one it was. It was hard to see at this distance.

Selya picked: So be it, Alexia! First, I activate a trap card! Desolation!

The card was revealed, showing a Na'vi staring out over a desolate landscape, as if a fire had ravaged everything.

Selya: I can activate this card when my hit points are 1500 points lower than my opponent's, minimum. This allows me to draw a number of cards equal to the "GDR Forces" and "Pandora Inhabitant" monsters in my graveyard. If I draw more than 5 cards, I'll have to sacrifice 500 hit points. I currently have Banshee, Valkyrie and Scorpion, so I draw three cards.

So she drew three more, looked at her deck and chose a card.

Selya: I activate Double Birth!

A sort of gathering of Na'vis seemed to surround another, as if they were now part of a whole.

Selya: I can add a Na'vi monster from my deck to my hand.

So, she took out her deck again and chose a "Na'vi Archers" monster, which she added to her hand. Then she shuffled it before putting it back in the base.

Selya: Then I summon Archere Na'vi, on the field (ATK: 1900-DEF: 1600). When she's summoned, I can add a "Dweller of Pandora" monster from my deck and add it to my hand.

She repeated her manipulation and showed the Thanator, before adding it to her hand.

Alexia smiled: It's a shame you can't merge. Even if it was on the Field, it doesn't have enough power against my cyber angel.

Selya smiled: Don't be so sure, Alexia.

This statement provoked a slight surprise from her.

Selya: I activate the second effect of "Hostile World". I can remove this one from the deck to add a "Pandora" from my graveyard to my hand.

So, she took out the two cards from her graveyard. One she added to her deck, while the other she returned to her dueling pouch.

Selya: And then, it's time to return to the Na'vis terrain, Alexia. What do you think?

Alexia: smiles: I'm afraid I'll have to break your enthusiasm. I'm flipping my card, typhoon of mystical space! Allowing me to destroy your "Pandora"!

Selya winced as she felt the typhoon's powerful winds destroy her card and force her to return it to the graveyard.

Alexia: Nice try, Selya.

Me: Without Pandora, she can't perform the fusion. And she's already invoked!

Syrus: I'm afraid Alexia won the duel. I don't see how Selya can reverse the duel without fusing.

There were shouts of joy and applause for the duellist's future victory. Suddenly, Selya began to smile

Smiling Selya: There's no doubt about it, Alexia. You've really lived up to your reputation!

Alexia smiles: You're an excellent duellist too, Selya.

Selya smiles: Thank you for the compliment. But the duel isn't over yet. Sure, you've beaten Pandora, but I'll still do my fusion!

Shocked Alexia: What do you mean?

Selya: Because I got the card I wanted, with Desolation. And Pandora is a substitute for that card.

Alexia: Don't tell me...

Selya: Oh yes, I am! I'm activating Tsahaylu!

And so she conjured up the card with two connecting filaments. And allowing her to restart the fight.

Selya: So I put my Na'vi archer and my Thanator back into my deck, to merge them.

The Thanator appeared on the field, while my friend added the two monsters to the deck, before shuffling. Her monster made the link with the terrible creature, before letting out a war cry.

Selya: I summon "Dweller of Pandora - Rider of Palulukan" in attack mode ( ATK: 2600-DEF: 2200).

Cries of surprise erupted as this new monster appeared on the scene. Even Alexia was surprised for a moment, before recovering.

Alexia: Impressive, Selya! Unfortunately, I'm afraid it won't be enough to fight my Daikini.

Selya: You're right about that, Alexia. However, I do intend to add a little boost to my warrior.

Alexia: What do you mean?

Selya: You'll see. First, I activate Samson's effect, allowing me to summon a "GDR Force - GDR Mercenary" from my deck or graveyard.

So, she picked up her deck and chose a monster, which she summoned in Defense position ( ATK: 1100-DEF:2000). A military man with a breathing helmet over his face and a submachine gun in his hands.

Selya: Next, I activate its effect. Once per turn, I can summon a "Pandora Dweller" or "GDR Force" monster of level 4 or less from my graveyard. I can also retrieve a "Tsahaylu" from my graveyard and add it to my hand.

So she added the magic card to her hand and summoned the helicopter to the field, in attack position ( ATK: 1600-DEF:1100).

Selya chose a card from her hand and showed it: Next, I activate this! A magical equipment card, Prisoners!

The image was as the name suggested, two na'vis figures seemingly tied up in front of another watching them.

Selya: By equipping it to a "Pandora Dweller" or "RDA Force" monster monster, the latter gains a bonus of 1000 Attack points.

Shocked Alexia: 1000 points?

Selya: Yes, and I match it with my Scorpion!

Scorpion: 2600 ( 1600+1000)

Syrus: But why equip it with the Scorpion? Both don't have enough power against Alexia's Cyber Angel!

Chumley: Maybe stress.

Me frowning: No. She's got something up her sleeve.

I knew Selya and she didn't do anything randomly.

Alexia: Why equip your Scorpion and not your Rider?

Selya: My magic card has a second effect. It allows me to designate one of my opponent's monsters and force it into a defensive position. As long as the equipped monster is on the field, this monster must remain in this position.

Shocked Alexia: What?

Selya: Indeed, and I designate your cyber angel!

So, she moved into a defensive position, leaving an opening for the two monsters.

Selya: Now, Rider of Palulukan, attack Cyber Angel Daikini!

With a powerful leap, the warrior of this one launched herself at the defending monster, crushing it with her claws and jaw.

Syrus: But why insist on attacking a defending monster? Alexia won't lose any hit points.

Me: On the contrary, Syrus.

I knew this card perfectly well. I suffered its painful effects during my duels with Selya.

Alexia: If you wanted to inflict damage on me, this is the wrong target, Selya.

Selya smiles: On the contrary, Alexia.

This surprised her, including those watching the duel.

Alexia: What do you mean?

Selya: Because that's where the effect of my Palulukan Rider comes in. When it destroys a monster, it inflicts as damage to your hit points, the defense of the monster destroyed!

She looked shocked, as did the crowd, as she saw the Na'vi riding the Thanator cock her bow and fire an arrow straight at him, giving him a brief shock.

LP Alexia: 1600 ( 4000-2400)

Selya: Scorpion, attack Cyber Prima!

The scorpion attacked, firing a rain of missiles, destroying the monster.

LP Alexia: 1300 ( 1600-300)

Selya: Having destroyed a monster, the Scorpion's attack increases by 300 attack points.

Scorpion: 2900 (2600+300)

Alexia gritted her teeth at this increase

Selya: I end my turn by placing a card face down.

Voice: Go Alexia!

She recovered from her attack and stepped forward, ready to continue the fight. It was a warrior's fight, as I'd expected. And what followed only promised to be more exciting.

Alexia smiled: Well done, Selya. But the duel's not over yet

Smiling Selya: I know.

Alexia drawing: Mine

She looked at the card she'd just drawn.

Alexia: I activate the magic card you're familiar with, "Ritual of the Angel Machine". I sacrifice "Cyber Angel Idaten" to summon "Cyber Angel Benten" to the field in attack position.

The monster appeared on the field. A kind of...Warrior using fans. ( ATK: 1800-DEF: 1500)

Alexia: Through Idaten's effect, her attack and defense points increase by 1000 points.

Shocked Selya: What?

Alexia: Indeed! Which increases to 2800!

Cyber Angel Benten: 2800 ( 1800+1000)-2500 (1500+1000)

Alexia: Cyber Benten, attack "Force de la RDA-Samson!

Syrus: But why attack a monster in defense mode?

That was true. I could understand Selya, but Alexia?

Selya: I can see what you're trying to do, Alexia. You want to destroy my monster, to inflict damage on its defense. And thus ensure victory.

Alexia smiles: You've done your homework. But it won't save you. I've won.

Selya smiles: I don't think so. Because I've got something to say about it! I turn over my trap card, final face-off! By sacrificing a "Force of the RDA" and a "Dweller of Pandora" monster, I can inflict damage equal to the sum of half their original attacks. And I sacrifice my mercenary and my rider, to inflict 1850 damage to your life points!

Alexia and many widened their eyes in shock at this. For it meant only one thing. And so, mercenary and Rider disappeared, before the trap card glowed white and two white lightning shapes hit Alexia, reducing her hit points to 0.

LP Alexia: 0 ( 1300-1850)

The duel ended in shocked silence. Selya folded up her disc and walked over to Alexia, smiling as she held out her hand.

Selya: That was a great duel! Let's do it again sometime.

Alexia replied with the same smile, shaking her outstretched hand.

Alexia: It'll be a pleasure, Selya.

Soon, they were applauding at the great show.

Me: Yeah, way to go, you two! That was great!

Both were surprised and turned their heads towards me. Alexia waved, while Selya turned, blushing.

Selya: Oh boy, Jaden....

I couldn't help laughing, happy with this spot providing exciting challenges. That is, if you didn't count the classes.