Chapitre 27: The vampire

Hi! Here's the second rider. Or rather rider, since she's a lady with long nocturnal fangs. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Several days later,

Since Jaden's duel, I've made a point of visiting him as often as possible. Although his wounds were healed, I was worried about his mental state. During Mother's training sessions, I'd nearly gone mad several times, and I knew the mental and physical toll of a Shadow duel. I thought that with this, I could protect the people I cared about, and seeing Jaden like this makes me feel like I've failed at that. I would do anything for Cecilia not to have to go through this ordeal. It was too dangerous for her and I refused to see her in the same state as my friend. Or worse.

Syrus: How are you, Selya?

Me: As well as seeing her best friend in a coma, Syrus.

I blamed myself for being so cold to him, but I couldn't shake the guilt. It should have been me facing Darkness, not him. He wasn't prepared for this kind of ordeal, unlike me. Then I felt guilty for my reaction and turned to my light-blue-haired friend.

Me: I'm sorry, Syrus. I shouldn't have been so cold, but I'm worried about Jaden.

Syrus: Don't worry, he's out of danger and will wake up soon.

Me: Yes, but what will he be like mentally? You've seen, Syrus, how destructive a Dark duel can be.

I clenched my fists in rage

Me: It should have been me.

Syrus: Selya, you're not to blame. Darkness took us by surprise and chose Jaden.

That was true, but it didn't stop me from feeling guilty. Suddenly, the door opened to reveal my sister entering with Alexia, Chazz and Zen.

Cécilia: Big sister, how are you? You don't look so good.

Me: Nothing, little sister.

Alexia immediately went to see her brother, also unconscious, while Zen asked how they were.

Me: As you can see, still unconscious. But I'm afraid of the mental state when they wake up.

He nodded silently, seeming to understand my words. Then Crowler came to fetch us, indicating that we were to go to the Chancellor's office.

The Chancellor's office,

Chazz shocked: A vampire?!

Chancellor: Yes. The school is currently overwhelmed by this type of rumor.

Vampire...that could mean she could turn into a bat, to spy on us. Nothing was certain that the rumors were true, but it was important to be as cautious as possible. The stakes were much higher, to allow oneself to be so imprudent.

Banner: It's...frightening.

Crowler: It's absurd! There's no such thing!

Me: Go tell that to Jaden, who's currently unconscious in the infirmary, Professor! Duels aren't supposed to hurt, and look at the state he and Isidores are in! So, a vampire, it's quite possible! Our lives are at stake in every duel with the horsemen! We mustn't take this lightly!

He looked at me angrily, which I immediately returned.

Bastien: Although Selya didn't put it delicately, she's right. Which means....

Zen: That our enemy is probably already here.

Chancellor: Everyone, please be careful.

Cecilia: If she's a vampire, she probably has the ability to change into a bat. We should probably check we're not being spied on.