Chapter 31: A duel for Academy

Here's the next part, with the Princeton duel to decide the fate of the Academy. Feel free to vote, if you liked it, or comment.

Jaden's point of view

Me: How do you know our names?

It disturbed me to see someone else in my best friend's body. As if all those years with Selya were nothing, as I stared into her strange, elongated eyes. The sensation of someone from an unknown country, or even another time.

Solra: I've inhabited Selya's body all her life. So I know everyone she's ever met.

Me confused: Were you there the whole time?

She only answered me with a nod.

Solra: So far, I haven't felt it a priority to intervene. To avoid complications. Already, Selya's life wasn't easy. I didn't think she was ready to be aware of my presence.

Chazz: So, you're hiding in the shadows like a coward?

Solra: Watch your words, Chazz Princeton. If I do this, it's for Selya's own good. Her power is strong, but immature.

Alexia: This power...You mean that moment when...

Solra: Indeed.

We remained silent, thinking back to the terrible episode when we saw our friend seemingly lose control of herself and begin to transform into some kind of destructive creature. It was hard for me to admit, but without Solra's intervention, things would undoubtedly have become more complicated.

Me: Tell me, Solra. If you hadn't intervened, what would have happened?

I needed to be sure.

Solra: Do you think it will make you feel better to know, Jaden Yuki? Sometimes it's good to keep things in the dark. No need to think about what-ifs. What's done is done.

Me: But I need to know.

Solra: And for my part, I think this knowledge is useless. Don't you have enough burdens to bear, Jaden Yuki?

I bit my lips and lowered my eyes. I could see that she was right. Seeing the ravages of the Duel of Darkness, I was beginning to fear the idea of losing. Of the consequences that would bring.

Crowler: Come on, why are you talking about Selya as if she were someone else? Our dear prodigy has put everything back in order.

Zen: Is that really the case, Professor?

Solra: In any case, I must retire. Selya is asleep, recuperating. Using the essence dormant in her, unprepared, can have terrible consequences for her body and mind.

Me: Essence? What kind is it?

Solra: Something beyond all of you.

And with these mysterious words, the eye on her forehead reappeared and shone in a golden glow before disappearing. The next moment, Selya fell unconscious, and I caught her in my arms to prevent her from hitting the ground violently. I watched her sleeping, as if nothing had happened.

Cécilia: Oh..Big sister...

We stared worriedly at our sleeping friend. Because we knew that a bomb was sleeping inside her and we didn't know how to deal with it.

Cecilia's point of view

Selya had already been in this sleep for two days. Whenever I had the time, I visited her. And I noticed that I wasn't the only one, for I noticed that Chazz was there, his mind seemingly disturbed.

Chazz: The whole fate of the Academy is on my shoulders... If only you were here, I...

It was then that he noticed my presence and resumed his usual arrogant posture and face.