Chapter 16: Logic versus Hearth

This is the first chapter of the duel to represent the Academy against its northern rival. Feel free to vote if you like it or comment.

Zen's point of view

I was summoned to the meeting room to decide who would represent our school this year against the champion of the Northern Academy. Surprisingly, they chose a first-year student. This took me out of the competition. Nevertheless, there was no shortage of choice in our school. Although for me, it was clear. But the hardest part was convincing the members of the meeting, especially Crowler. So, when Chancellor Shepard asked me the question, I didn't have to think long and hard about my answer.

Zen: Jaden Yuki.

In my opinion, he had the most potential to become the Academy's best duelist, after me. Obviously, Doctor Crowler didn't have the same vision of the student as I did.

Banner: I agree. Jaden Yuki is the best student. What do you think, Pharaoh?

The majority seemed to agree except Crowler, of course, and strangely enough, Madame Fontaine. While the former's expression showed his attempt to find a response to my proposal, the latter seemed more preoccupied with her thoughts.

Crowler: Hey, we've got Bastien Misawa! He could represent us

Chancellor Shepard: A Râ?

Crowler: Yes! He's the most qualified! He's got the highest tests that...

Suddenly, Madame Fontaine coughed, cutting Crowler off at the seams.

Fontaine: Why always the boys? We have talented girls too! And it was Selya who got the highest marks in the exam, I remind you! And Cécilia isn't short of talent either. The Yavani sisters can proudly represent our school.

Selya and Cécilia? Yes, why not? Both were as much duelists as Jaden. Unlike Bastien, who was too calculating for my taste. Relying more on theory than practice. But this seemed to delight Crowler

Crowler: You see, Chancellor. There are other options besides Jaden Yuki.

Chancellor thought for a moment, before turning to me.

Chancellor: Then why don't we settle this with a duel? What do you think, Zen?

Me: Sounds like a good idea.

Indeed, this generation has produced some incredible duelists. There's no doubt that each of the candidates could proudly represent our Academy.

Selya's point of view

Several days have passed since Cecilia's arrival. And my sister has finally settled in well, despite her somewhat extroverted side. This reassured me, as I was afraid she might have trouble. Today seemed like a normal Banner course, right up to the end.

Banner: A little quiet, please. I have an important announcement to make. As you know, the duel against the Northern Academy is approaching. And we need to choose a representative. Given the potential of the candidates, we've decided to share it through the duel.

I was very curious to find out who they were.

Banner: Since our rival's representative is a freshman, we're going to choose a student of the same level. And at that, four students stand out. Jaden Yuki, Bastien Misawa and...

Oh...I was beginning to see where this was going.

Banner: Selya and Cécilia Yavani

I suspected as much. Well, I couldn't help but feel a great sense of pride. Me and my sister have been chosen as potential candidates to represent the Academy!

Banner: So, three duels will take place. Jaden will face Bastien, while Selya and Cecilia will face off. And the last duel will pit the two winners against each other to bring the final decision.

I stared at my sister, who was of Obelisk rank, with a smile. I hoped she'd trained well since then, because I wouldn't be doing her any favors.

Banner: I can't wait to see these exciting matches!

And so the class ended on this note

Syrus: Oh, Jaden and Selya, you can be representatives of the Academy!

Chumley: No slifer has ever done that! You can go down in history

Me smiling: Before that, we've got duels to win. Right, Jaden?

Jaden: Yes, and I can't wait to face you again, Selya!

Me amused: Don't forget you've got Bastien first.

Bastien: Indeed.

We all turned to him. He had his arms crossed, seeming to think as he looked at me and Jaden.

Jaden: Well Bastien, I guess the best man wins.

Smiling Bastien: No, the best deck. And rest assured, it'll be mine.

Me: I'll be curious to see. A duel isn't about formulas.

Bastien: I'd love to prove you wrong, Selya.

Me: You'll have to get past Jaden first. And me, sister.

And speaking of the wolf...

Cécilia: Hey big sister! We're going to fight each other! Like two knights fighting to represent the kingdom.

I couldn't help smiling. She was so bubbly and naive.

Me: I hope you'll be ready, little sister.

Cecilia smiles: Are you kidding? I've waited a long time for this moment, Selya!

Bastien: Well, it looks like we all have the will to win. I'm going to start working right away. Not only do I have your deck to study, Jaden, but Selya's and Cecilia's too. And believe me, I'd make an optimal deck against you.

I rolled my eyes, but remained silent. Duels meant a lot, but not cold logic. But then, everyone has their own approach, I guessed.

Later,

I was in my room, studying my cards carefully. Each one bringing me a certain pride and tenderness. After all, they were a gift from my father on my seventh birthday, and we'd been through a lot together. These cards were proof of his fatherly love for me, and opened me up to him. No longer seeing him as the man who had abandoned us and was trying to clear his conscience. But as someone who truly loved me, despite his mistakes.

Warrior Na'vi: Do you think he knows?

Me: Without a doubt.

Warrior Na'vi: He must be proud.

I couldn't help smiling at that. I imagined him hugging me and my sister, saying how proud and happy he was of us.

Me: I wish Mother was as open as he is.

Warrior Na'vi: She has many wounds and a heavy burden on her shoulders, Selya.

Me: We all do. I wish she'd at least show a sign of love. I don't think I've ever seen her smile at me.

Warrior Na'vi: Maybe she has to be that way.

I grunted, before turning my thoughts away from her. It was always a complicated subject for me. I couldn't help feeling jealous of Cecilia. Mother had always been more open to her than I was. Why did she have to be so hard on me? What had I done to deserve such treatment? It hurt me just thinking about it.

Me, putting my cards away: I'd better get some sleep. Just because we've got important duels to fight doesn't mean we have to neglect our studies.

She smiled, but I could see her holding back. So I put my deck away and went to bed.

Alexia's point of view

It was finally the big day. And I have to say, I wasn't expecting a duel to define our representatives. Then three! It was truly a unique event within the Academy. And then I couldn't help thinking about that strange Slifer I ran into last night. I thought he was strangely too curious about the Abandoned Dormitory. I had a bad feeling about him. But first things first. First, there was the duel between my friend and the brilliant student Ra. And to be honest, I was more in favor of Jaden, thinking he'd represent the Academy better than Bastien. After a brief performance by Crowler, clearly showing his bias, the duel was finally launched.