Chapter 12: From blue to red

Here's what's next with a little rebellion that's not without consequences. Feel free to vote, if you liked it, or to comment.

Selya's point of view

It sounded like a normal day. That is, until an obelisk asked Chazz what he was doing in his usual place. To his surprise, he noticed that he'd been transferred to the ranks of the Slifers and Ra. To me, that sounded pretty violent, even for a fool like him.

Chazz: Dr. Crowler, tell them this is all a mistake!

I turned my gaze to the latter as he entered, with a black eye. I wondered where he got that.

Crowler: No, not anymore. Since a certain duel against a certain... Wait till I remember...Jaden Yuki! A slifer! That's why, tomorrow, you'll fight a duel with Bastien Misawa. And if you lose, you'll change dorms.

Chazz: What? If I lose, I get demoted to Ra?

Crowler: Yes. Now go move to your new place.

And so everyone laughed as Chazz left, humiliated. I saw red and stood up. My reaction provoked a silence. I'd put up with these shenanigans for too long. So I grabbed my things and stood up, starting to leave the class.

Crowler: Selya Yavani, may I ask where you're going?

I turned and looked at him

Me: I'm leaving, in protest of your decision, Professor.

Crowler: You dare to protest it?

Me: Yes. I find it ridiculously harsh, for no big deal. After all, Jaden Yuki has shown his talent more than once, most recently with the Paradox brothers. And I remind you that you've also lost to him. So to demote Chazz for that is absurd. I'll accept any punishment, but I won't support your injustice to him. Even if he is a moron.

He stared at me in shock, then rage. I walked away, without a glance at him. I'll find a way to catch up with my class.

I'll catch up later,

I left the Academy and headed for the beach, trying to find a good spot to rest and reflect. It was then that I found Chazz, whose face looked completely broken. It made my heart ache to see that. So I went over to him, to try and talk to him and cheer him up a bit.

Me: Chazz?

He snapped out of his slump and stared at me in surprise.

Chazz: Selya?! What are you doing here?

Me: I got out of Professor Crowler's class. I couldn't stand his behavior toward you. He'd been playing with my nerves for a while.

Chazz: Do you...do you know what you're risking by doing this?

Me: It doesn't matter. I'd rather do that than take an unfair punishment. I mean, losing to Jaden is nothing to be ashamed of.

He gritted his teeth, hearing my friend's name, and I could read the hatred in his eyes. I slapped him on the back of the head, clearly cutting him off in his dark thought.

Chazz: Hey!

Me: Are you done? Need I remind you that he's my best friend?

Chazz: Yeah...I know.

So I sat down next to him, holding my books in my arms.

Me: You're an excellent duelist, Chazz. But it would be nice if you could gain some humility. Being obelisk doesn't prove that you're superior to others. I'd hoped your defeat would have taught you that.

Chazz: He was just lucky.

Me: That's not the way to progress. You have to learn to be more humble, if you want to be a great duellist. It's not the color of our uniforms that defines our talent. A Ra can beat an Obelisk.

Chazz: But obelisk are supposed to embody the elite! And I refuse to stoop to being a Ra!

I sighed, seeing that he was still in his stupidity.

Me: There's no shame in being one. And it would do you good, believe me.

Chazz: Never!

I rolled my eyes, seeing that I wasn't making any progress. So I got up to leave

Me: Good luck with your duel, Chazz.

Chazz: Thank you.

So, I walked away to a place where I could relax. I glanced around, seeing the one in his thoughts. I hoped I'd pushed him in the right direction.

The next day,

I was summoned by the disciplinary committee, following this morning's problem with Crowler. I was surprised to find a squad of men in green suits and soldier-like berets at my bedroom door. This, led by a woman. I had the impression that they were arresting the school's number-one public danger.

Woman: Selya Yavani?

Me: Uh... Yes.

Woman: Follow us, please.

Me: Okay. But could I at least get dressed?

Woman: 5 minutes

Me, rolling my eyes: Okay.

I'll see you later,

So, I found myself in the middle of a room, surrounded by screens with images with the various teachers. Okay, this must have been a disciplinary committee, in an ultra-exaggerated version. In the middle sat Chancellor Shepard. On his left, that damned Crowler and on his right, madam squad leader.

Shepard: Do you know why you're here, Selya Yavani?

I glanced briefly at the damned professor, before looking at the Chancellor.

Me I imagine, yes;

Crowler: Such behavior is not tolerated at the Academy! The punishment must be exemplary

Fontaine: Please calm down, Crowler. Selya is a brilliant student and an excellent duellist. What's more, I've heard no insults directed at you.

Crowler: Not insult me? She left my class, humiliating me in public!

Fontaine: Like you publicly humiliated Chazz Princeton. That's no way to teach, professor.

Crowler: Don't forget who you're talking to!

Shepard: Quiet!

He sighed and fixed me with a hard stare.

Shepard: Selya Yavani, your solidarity with your comrade is admirable. You're one of our best people. However, we can't tolerate this kind of behavior within our establishment. Do you understand?

Me: Indeed, Chancellor.

Shepard: Expelling you will be far too severe a punishment. However, you will go from Obelisk to Slifer. If you want to become Obelisk again one day, you'll have to pass the passage exams. I hope this will teach you to be more restrained. Do you have anything to say?

Me: No, Chancellor.

Chancellor: Good. Now pack your things and go to your new dormitory.

So I bowed my head, respectfully, before starting to walk away from the room.

Alexia's point of view

I was on my way to Shepard's office, to try and plead Selya's case. She may not have taken it well, but I could tell she wasn't lacking in courage and compassion. I was about to enter, when Crowler's voice cut me off.

Crowler: Exclusion would have made an exemplary case!

Shepard: Crowler, degrading her to the rank of Slifer is punishment enough to teach her respect and restraint. While avoiding complications with our biggest partner.

Crowler: What do you mean?

I was as intrigued as the professor. What do you mean, Chancellor?

Shepard: Have you read his file carefully? I think you should.

So there was a short silence, before Crowler's cry startled me.

Crowler: What?!

Shepard: I hope you now understand the impossibility of your punitive measure. Downgrading her is a good compromise.

Crowler: Yes...of course, Chancellor.

So I decided to walk away, seeing that Selya was in no danger of being expelled. I had no doubt that she would regain her Obelisk rank one day. She was as talented as Jaden, after all. But what was her relationship to give Dr. Crowler such a panicked reaction?
Selya's point of view

With my belongings in my backpack, notepad and sketchbook in my arms, I set off for my new dormitory. Suddenly, I saw a figure in a familiar blue uniform with a hairstyle I recognized. He was also holding a backpack, and seemed to be heading for the docks.

Me: Chazz?

He stopped, surprised, and turned to me.

Chazz: Selya? Are you leaving too?

It was my turn to be surprised

Me: No, I'm not. Why not?

Chazz: You seem to be wearing a lot for a walk or a class.

Ah yes...obviously, I'm stupid.

Me: Well, I've been demoted to Slifer rank.

He stared at me in shock

Chazz What? You? To the rank of these idiots? You're too good for them. You belong with the Obelisk, the elite! Not in the ranks of the punks!

Me: Let's just say it's the price of my temerity.

Chazz: What did you do about it?

Me: I protested Crowler's treatment of you and left his class. Have you forgotten already?

He widened his eyes for a moment, then lowered his head strangely. As if ashamed.

Me: I guess you lost your duel.

Chazz: Yes. As well as being publicly humiliated. I couldn't stand it, not for long.

Me: Are you leaving?

Chazz: Yes.

I could see the determination, showing that nothing would make him back down in his decision.

Me: I can see that nothing will change your mind.

Chazz: No

Me: And where do you plan to go?

Chazz: I don't know. But I know I have to go.

Me: In that case, I won't keep you any longer.

I was about to leave, when this one stopped me in my tracks

Chazz: Selya!

I turned to him, wondering what he was going to say.

Chazz: You can come with me. It's always better than the shame of going down to the lowest rung of the ladder.

Me: That's nice of you, Chazz. But you know, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to get back up.

I could see a glint of admiration in his eyes. Or was it something else? It was difficult because it was so brief. Then he turned his head and started walking again.

Me: Chazz..

He stopped for a moment, not turning.

Me: Good luck.

Chazz: Thanks. You too, Selya.

Then he pulled away and headed for the docks. Toward a new horizon and hopefully, put this life behind him. I hoped this would mature him.

Jaden's point of view

It's been a busy day. Between Chazz's duel, Chazz's disappearance and the meeting with Wheeler (author's note: we agree, didn't Kaiba name him that?), I was hungry as a wolf! But first, Professor Banner wanted to make an announcement.

Banner: Before we start eating, I wanted to make an important announcement. Starting today, we'll be welcoming a new student.

I wondered who she was. And the one who stepped forward was...

Me surprised: What, Selya?

I wasn't the only one, for Syrus and Chumley were equally surprised, as were the other Slifers. She saluted, with a small, embarrassed smile. Her outfit resembled her old one, with its white skirt and gloves. It suited her strangely, especially with her fiery orange hair and ocean-blue eyes.

Banner: I'm sure you recognize your comrade Obelisk. Due to disciplinary problems, she's been demoted to Slifer and is now with us.

I sighed, listening to this. It was all Selya, that. But I kept silent, for my stomach was growling with appetite. We all welcomed her, before the meal finally began. So she sat down opposite Syrus and thanked Banner for the meal, before starting to eat her tray in front of her.

Me: Why chu...

Selya with a drop of sweat: Jaden, we don't talk while we eat.

So I swallowed, but Syrus caught me off guard.

Syrus: Why were you demoted?

Selya: Well, to put it simply, I had a disagreement with Professor Crowler, and I left his class.

I breathed an inward sigh of relief. It wasn't a fight, thankfully. I remembered that Selya had trouble controlling herself. Especially when it came to people close to her or subjects she held dear.

Selya: And here I am, with you.

Me smiling: Cool! We're back together!

She gave me an understanding smile, before continuing to eat.

Me: Do you have a room?

Selya: Yes, Jaden. Right next door to yours.

Me: Cool!

I was glad we were together. Although I suspect it won't last the three years. Might as well enjoy every moment.