Chapter 9: Father vs Son

Hi! Here's the sequel, with Chumley's duel with his father. So, there will be a difference with the anime. Hope you like it! Feel free to vote if you do, or comment.

Selya's point of view

I hurried to the director's office, having heard the news immediately. I knocked on the door out of politeness.

Shepard: Come in.

I did so, immediately.

Me: Chancellor, I...

Shepard: Let me guess... You were in the abandoned dormitory too?

Ah... that's what we called getting the short end of the stick. Looking around the chancellor's office, I saw that Chumley and Alexia were already there.

Me: Uh yes...They came to the dorm, because of me.

Shepard sighing: Your support for your comrades is touching. Unfortunately, as I said before you came, there's nothing more I can do. The list has been sent. Jaden will team up with Syrus. And I'm sure everything will be fine, don't worry.

I looked at Chumley and Alexia with shared concern. All three of us knew this was far from the case.

Later,

I tried to reassure myself, but the duel between Jaden and Syrus had clearly shown the latter's lack of confidence. I'd learned later, from Alexia, that it had something to do with his brother Zen. That he lived in his brother's shadow and that it weighed heavily on his shoulders. So off I went to the Slifer dormitory, hoping to find Jaden's roommate. Unfortunately, I was surprised to get no answer from them.

Me: Jaden?

Voice: Are you looking for them?

I turned my gaze to see Professor Banner. His eyes closed, his face smiling with his black hair surrounding him. Between his arms, his orange cat with black pharaohh features, seeming to purr. His eyes not visible either. He was a nice teacher, but something about him bothered me. I didn't know what? Was this side jovial at all times of the day?

Me: Yes, Professor. Do you know where they are?

Banner: I don't. But from what I hear, Jaden is looking for Zane.

Me surprised: Syrus' brother? Why?

Banner, petting his cat: Well, from what I hear...to challenge him to a duel.

I sighed. Of course, why was I even asking? It wouldn't be Jaden, otherwise.

Me: Do you have any idea where he might be?

Banner: Mmm..I'm thinking more towards the port. But if you ask me, I think you should let Jaden handle it. After all, Syrus is his teammate. Interfering could jeopardize their bond.

Me: And if I don't do something, they could be expelled!

Banner: Do you trust him?

Me: Of course! But...

Banner: Less for Syrus.

I lowered my head, not daring to speak that uncomfortable truth.

Banner: I can't blame you, considering what's at stake. But you have to trust Jaden. If he thinks Syrus can pull it off, he's seeing something.

Me: Except that if they lose, they'll be shut out! And if there's anything I can do...

Banner: Selya, what they'll need most of all is support.

I bit my lips and stamped my feet. My brain was working frantically, trying to come up with an answer of my own. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of one. If I ever made the problem worse, not only would I never forgive myself if they lost. But neither would Jaden.