Chapter 22: The academic duel (Part 1)

Welcome back to the famous duel between the Académie du Nord and de duel. As well as the return of a certain character. If you liked it, don't hesitate to vote or comment.

Alexia's point of view

It was finally the big day. The day of the duel against the Northern Academy. With the other students, I was at the port, with Selya. The Northern Academy students arrived on board a submarine and the two directors greeted each other, exchanging pleasantries. Then a certain Kuriboh-haired student arrived, showing his impatience. Oh, for God's sake, Jaden!

Shepard a little annoyed: Stop it, Jaden!

But he didn't seem to be listening.

Jaden: So, that's...

Selya pinched her cheeks and stretched them, looking annoyed/

Jaden: Selya, cha hurts!

Selya: I'll stop, when you stop acting like a child!

I couldn't help smiling as I watched the two of them interact. It almost felt like a sibling. Or...I felt a slight pain in my heart at the thought. No, Selya never really showed any interest, and neither did Jaden.

Jaden: Chelya...Archaete!

Suddenly, a familiar voice cut them off.

Voice: I will be your opponent!

And they turned towards the source to see a familiar figure, wearing a black cloak and appearing in a much simpler outfit.

Selya: Chazz?

Chazz: Yes, Selya.

Jaden: Where's my opponent?

I sighed, while Selya slapped herself on the forehead.

Chazz: In front of you

Jaden: Who?

Chazz: Me

Jaden: Me, who?

Selya: It's Chazz, your opponent!

Jaden surprised: Huh? Chazz?

Chazz: It's Mr. Chazz, for you.

Well, I hoped he'd have some humility. I was probably too ambitious for him. All the other students at the Academy stood in front of them, to block their way.

Student: You should stop being so disrespectful to Mr. Éclair.

Selya: Or what?

Student: We'll teach him a lesson!

Selya growled, threatening: Try it.

Chazz: That's enough. Leave him alone.

I thought I heard respect in Chazz's voice. Which surprised me.

As the two of them faced each other in silence, a strong wind disturbed us. Turning our gaze, we noticed two helicopters approaching. It wasn't long before we discovered that they were Chazz's brothers, Slade and Jagger. And we were unpleasantly surprised to see that they had brought a TV crew to film Chazz's duel with Jaden. Suddenly, I felt a little compassion for Chazz. To have to face such pressure. Selya turned to Chazz, giving him a sympathetic, even understanding look, while Jaden clowned in front of the cameras.

More later,

Selya's point of view

I felt compassion for what Chazz must be going through. It was bad enough that he was under the pressure of being the representative of the Northern Academy. But now it was being broadcast around the world. His brothers couldn't imagine the enormous weight they were putting on him. Or didn't care.

Bastien: Don't worry, Selya. Jaden has already beaten Chazz. This should be easy.

Me: What makes you think that, Bastien? Do you really think the Chazz in the ring is the same one you beat? You're sadly mistaken, if that's the case.

Bastien: What makes you say that?

Me: Something. Maybe his posture or the look in his eyes. But I have the feeling he's changed since he left the Academy.

Soon Alexia, Syrus and Chumley arrived, then Zen behind us. As the two directors opened the ceremony for the duel, Crowler introduced the two duelists. With his obvious contempt for Jaden, for starters. Remember, Selya...Remember...

Chazz: I'll introduce myself, you turtle-haired idiot.

Crowler: What do you mean? My hair is a model...

Soon, his feet were bound by the microphone wires and he fell to the floor, outside the ring. I held back my laughter as I watched the scene. For once, I was glad that Chazz could put that damned buffoon in his place. Jaden went to his bedside to see how he was doing. He didn't deserve such attention, in my eyes.

I remained silent, observing the scene. I was curious to see if I was right. If he really had matured, this duel would show me. The look on Jaden's face was no longer one of contempt. But a duelist ready to do anything to win. Could this be a link with his brothers?

Jaden and Chazz: Duel!

LP Jaden: 4000

LP Chazz: 4000

So Chazz started and drew his card, before summoning Dragon Masqué, in defense mode (ATK: 1400-DEF:1100). I knew this kind of move, having practiced it with Equidius. Think carefully, Jaden, about your move

Me: Chazz wants Jaden to destroy the monster.

Syrus: How could you possibly know that?

Me: Because the monster's defense is lower than its attack. And I use this kind of move, with my Equidius.

Bastien: Jaden will have to be careful if he doesn't want to fall into his trap.

So Chazz finished his turn and it was Jaden's turn. My friend summoned his fire heroine (ATK:1200-DEF: 800) and, as I feared, destroyed the Masked Dragon.

Syrus! Well done, Brother! You've got the upper hand