Great Power

~

"Other kids I know start their day with orange juice. Me? I get yelled at by a 100-foot-tall-cranky pants." 

~

I spread my wings slowly, feeling the rush of air against my scales as I watch the bustling city below. Hidden amidst the shadows, I observe the familiar figure of Spider-Man swinging through the streets, blissfully unaware of our shared history. Even though he remains oblivious, a connection between us transcends his knowledge.

My eyes roll in exasperation as J. Jonah Jameson's voice fills the airwaves again, criticizing Spider-Man unjustly, claiming he is a menace when he is anything but. It's a tiresome cycle, and I shake my head in disdain. It's time for me to take flight, embracing my true nature, hidden in plain sight. As I soar through the night sky, my wings grant me freedom and anonymity, concealing my true identity from those below.

I glide gracefully above the city, my claws delicately brushing against the towering skyscrapers. The sound of my talons against the metal wires that connect the screens to the sky-caspase fills the air, creating an eerie creaking melody. The temptation to sever those connections, to free the city from the constant bombardment of media, flickers in my mind. But I know the consequences, the chaos, and the danger it would bring. I am not a hero who sacrifices thousands for a personal vendetta.

With a sigh, I continue my flight, my eyes scanning the city for any signs of distress, any souls in need of protection. My duty as a hero extends beyond the flashy battles and grand confrontations. It lies in the small acts of compassion, the quiet heroism that goes unnoticed. And so, I soar above the city; my true nature is hidden, a silent guardian in the night, ready to answer the call when darkness threatens to consume the light.

As I descended upon a luminous spectacle, I witnessed the thrilling clash between Spider-Man and his persistent adversary, the Transporter. My disdain for the latter was palpable, yet I recognized that this encounter belonged solely to the web-slinger, not me.

Amidst the escalating battle, a momentary opportunity arose for my intervention. However, before I could act, Spider-Man emerged victorious, proclaiming, "Yeah, that's how it's done!" As blossoming lights engulfed Trapstoer's vision, his defeated form dissipated into the sky.

But as the exhilaration waned, an ominous presence loomed above me—a colossal black ship emanating an eerie blue flame. Its sheer intensity sent a shiver down my spine, compelling me to retreat into the safety of shadows. From my concealed vantage point, I observed a mysterious figure in dark attire engaged in conversation with Spider-Man. Fragments of their exchange reached my ears: "offer" and "the ultimate Spider-Man." Bewildered by the meaning behind these cryptic words, I silently hoped that Peter possessed the discernment to navigate this enigmatic encounter and accept assistance if necessary.

Suddenly, with an air of authority, Nick Fury inquired, "Now, where is that lizard girl we were talking about?" A sense of unease gripped me, causing me to tense up. Peter furrowed his brow, puzzled. "What... girl?" he queried. Fury raised a skeptical eyebrow, retorting, "You mean to tell me you didn't notice the girl perched up there?"

Spider-Man shook his head, confessing, "I didn't."

A sigh of relief escaped my lips as Spider-Man remained oblivious to my presence. I needed to stay unseen, particularly by S.H.I.E.L.D., as the consequences would be dire. Escaping their grasp would prove nearly impossible.

Silently, I retreated, moving with the utmost caution, the words of Fury lingering in my ears. "Very well, just be careful. We don't know if we can trust her yet," he cautioned Spider-Man. Leaving their conversation behind, I distanced myself, ensuring I was out of earshot. Fear began to grip me tightly as the weight of this spy game settled in.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

I had expressed my strong aversion to being captured, but little did I realize the gravity of the situation and the extent of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s pursuit. Now, I found myself confined in a stark room, more like a cell, with Nick Fury standing before me alongside an unfamiliar man.

Seated on the chilly bench, my gaze locked intensely with Fury's. Finally, breaking the silence, he stated, "Well, Ms..., the sooner you cooperate, the sooner we can release you from here." I scoffed, and my fangs bared in defiance. "I'm not about to converse with the director of some spy organization, Fury, and you should be well aware of that. I operate on my terms." Fury raised an eyebrow; his voice tinged with skepticism. "Just like Spidey, huh?"

"Spider-Man has no connection to me, sir. I merely observe and ensure his safety," I asserted, noticing a furrow forming on Fury's brow. "He never mentioned having an invisible guardian. What is your name?" he inquired.

I bit my lip, contemplating whether there was any way to conceal the truth. With no remaining family to endanger, there seemed to be little at stake.

Taking a deep breath, I made a decision. "I'm Emberwing, Director Fury, and I operate under the alias Dragonfire," I revealed, my voice carrying a mix of trepidation and determination.