Field Trip

Smaug's POV

To be candid, the notion of embarking on a field trip with my friends or my school never once graced my thoughts. You see, I am more than a simple student. I am an undercover hero, concealing the extraordinary power of a dragon within. Yet, the prospect of crowded spaces presents a precarious challenge. I fear the consequences of losing control, potentially harming innocent lives due to their inability to keep their distance.

Thankfully, finding solace in the company of Peter grants me a sense of tranquility. Together, we navigate the delicate balance, providing a calming presence for one another. However, it appears that Peter himself does not find great delight in our current circumstances. As we found ourselves amidst the field trip, Ava's voice broke through the air, filled with genuine concern. "Are you alright?" she inquired, her gaze penetrating. In response, my golden eyes momentarily shimmered before I managed to regain composure, assuring her with a nod. "I'm fine, thank you." She held a searching look, seeking any trace of turmoil within.

Soon enough, our instructor Colson concluded his lecture, granting us freedom to explore, with the sole admonition of avoiding contact with the ancient relics. Curiosity beckoned me towards a peculiar stone tablet, defying gravity with its ethereal hover. Eager to decipher the inscriptions adorning its surface, I attempted to unravel its secrets but found myself met with frustration.

Just as my patience waned, Danny's voice interjected beside me, his tone carrying an air of curiosity. "This is old Nordic," he exclaimed, unknowingly arousing the slumbering dragon within me. Magic. Panic surged within, and I desperately attempted to halt his further exploration. Alas, my warning came too late.

In an instant, the ground trembled beneath our feet, resonating with an ominous energy. The walls crackled with the unfolding chaos. The stone tablet vanished, replaced by a colossal presence—a towering figure of icy blue, adorned with piercing yellow eyes and wielding a formidable club made of ice.

Oh, how marvelous our predicament has become.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

With a hiss escaping my lips, my hero costume swiftly molds around my form, revealing majestic wings unfurling from my back and a tail lashing through the air. In a moment of chaos, Powerman's voice echoes, urging me to unleash my Dragonfire. With a resounding crash, he slams into the wall, causing students to scatter and shriek in fear. Gathering my resolve, I conjure a ball of flames within my grasp and squarely face the formidable ice giant.

"You have wrought enough havoc," I mutter under my breath as I hurl the searing projectiles toward the frosty behemoth. A thunderous roar fills the air as one fireball strikes its club, causing it to melt away, while the other engulfs its shoulder, branding the armor into the tiger-striped canvas of its blue skin. Swiftly, the giant crumbles beneath my onslaught, and I descend upon its fallen form, planting a foot firmly upon its chest. A menacing snarl escapes my elongated dragon snout, revealing serrated teeth, sharp and formidable.

But just as the fires of fury burn within me, Spiderman's voice interjects, calling for calm. I turn to face him, momentarily distracted, allowing the giant a chance to strike back. "Argh!" I roar in pain as I collide with the unforgiving wall. Yet, to my astonishment, a flickering portal materializes above me, and a mighty hammer hurtles forth. Through dazed eyes, I witness the Thunderer himself, Thor, descending upon the museum floor, his hammer already having sent the giant sprawling.

His gaze meets mine, and a concerned smile graces his countenance. "Are you unharmed, my lady?" he inquires, his eyes locked with mine. In response, my own eyes flicker with remnants of my dragon form, before gradually reverting to their natural state, revealing my true face as my mask recedes. For a brief moment, it appears as if the god himself is captivated by something profound, but he swiftly regains his composure when Spiderman calls out, "The giant is rising!"

I slide my mask back into position, flicking my forked tongue in a display of defiance. However, before I can rise to confront the looming threat, Thor gently places a hand upon my armored shoulder. "No, stay down, my lady. Your injuries are severe, and you mustn't push yourself. I shall handle this." His words strike me with a mix of confusion and curiosity, but he swiftly proves his mettle, delivering a powerful blow that sends the giant crashing back to the ground.

◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥◤◢◣◥

Amidst the haze, I hear the hushed whispers of my friends, their hopes entwined in fervent murmurs. As my vision clears, I blink, and to my surprise, I find myself fully embraced by the majestic form of a dragon. Grunting, I attempt to rise, but my legs betray me, crumbling beneath the weight of my newfound shape. "Is that... is that truly her?" Powerman's incredulous voice rings out, and I observe their gazes fixated upon me. Even Thor appears diminutive in comparison. Snorting a plume of smoke, I take stock of my draconic physique—winged claws, powerful limbs, a sinuous tail coiling around my majestic frame, and a slender head adorned with horns and fearsome teeth. Oh, divine powers, I lament quietly, for this transformation was never intended to occur. I was meant to retain control over my inner dragon, yet it seems fate has chosen a different path.

"W-what creature is this?" Nova's voice trembles with trepidation, and I turn my attention towards him, lowering my snout in a gesture of contemplation. A burst of hot air washes over his form, eliciting a startled cry. "I... I think it's Smaug. The colors... they seem familiar," Spiderman ventures cautiously. "Indeed, it is I, Spiderman," I rasp, the revelation leaving them all in awe. Clearing my throat, I sigh, "It appears that my true form yearned to reveal itself on this day. But how fares the colossal giant?" I inquire, only to be caught off guard by an unexpected sight. Thor, the mighty Thunderer, is no longer himself, but rather a small frog, gazing up at me with beady eyes. "Thor?" I query, sniffing him delicately, confirming his true identity. "Let us not speak of it," he mutters, his voice laced with a touch of embarrassment. Snorting in amusement, I attempt to rise once more, but my weakened talons and wings betray my efforts. "You suffered a formidable blow to the head," Iron Fist informs me, his hand gently resting upon my neck, eliciting a comforting rumble beneath his touch.

"I surmised as much," I growl in acknowledgment, turning my gaze towards my loyal companions. "It appears that the task at hand must be accomplished without my direct involvement. Retrieve Thor's true form, and seek out Loki," I declare, prompting my friends to blink in astonishment. Thor leaps onto my winged foreleg, curiosity etched upon his face. "How did you discern the truth of my predicament, my brother?" he queries. I turn to face him, my snout inching closer to his countenance. "I can sense the ebb and flow of magic, Thor. For within me, magic resides," I declare, parting my jaws to summon a fireball. However, instead of scorching the frog prince upon my leg, the flame materializes as a magnificent statue—a glass effigy, crafted from pure warmth. "Whoa," my friends collectively gasp, their eyes filled with wonder. With careful precision, I curl my tongue around the delicate creation and tenderly present it to Thor.

"A gift, Thunder. Wield it with purpose," I proclaim, nudging him gently. He embraces the figurine, cradling it close to his heart, determination illuminating his eyes. "We shall not falter in our duties, Smaug, the noble one," he pledges with unwavering resolve. A hearty laugh escapes my draconic maw, as I recline, a smile adorning my scaled visage. "Oh, my friends, I possess utmost faith in your endeavors," I reassure them.

Together, they shall forge onward, their mission unwavering, their determination unyielding. And as I witness their unified spirit, a sense of pride envelops my draconic being. For even in this formidable form, I remain their ally, their guiding light.