Awesome

"Come on, Smaug," Peter said encouragingly as we strolled home from school, our recent involvement in a science project still fresh in our minds. It had come to our attention that we were assigned partners, with Peter paired up with Luke while I remained partnerless. Honestly, I hadn't even bothered volunteering since I had no interest in science.

"Peter, you're well aware of my aversion to such things, and besides, I'm not exactly a people person," I replied, voicing my apprehension. We continued walking until we reached my house, and I swung open the front door. Peter trailed behind me as we made our way to my room. I stepped inside, removed my jacket, and turned to face Peter, who appeared crestfallen.

"Oh, come on, Brighten. Working with Luke is at least something, isn't it?" I remarked, attempting to lighten the mood. Peter let out a sigh but nodded in agreement. "It is, I suppose. I wish you would involve yourself in school activities more like we do," he expressed, a tinge of disappointment.

I scoffed and dramatically flopped down on my bed, feeling the weight of exhaustion settling in.

"Well, goodnight then," Peter uttered softly as he walked out of my room, gently closing the door behind him. I muttered a sleepy response, barely audible before the click of the door signaled his departure. Exhaustion washed over me, and I decided not to bother changing out of my clothes. The last time I transformed into a dragon had drained me completely, leaving me devoid of energy. Now, the thought of attending school felt burdensome. I didn't want to go through with it, but Principal Collinsun knew of my dual identity as a part-time hero. Thankfully, he understood, unlike others who couldn't comprehend the complexities of my situation—mainly MJ and Harry.

They were always concerned about my well-being, constantly asking if I had gotten enough sleep. I would wave off their worries, assuring them that I had, but deep down, I knew they wouldn't be so easily deterred. With a weary sigh, I placed my arm over my face, feeling the weight of the most annoying week settle upon me. It had been far too long since I stretched my wings and embraced the freedom of flight.

Shifting my arm, I glanced out the window, greeted by a shimmering moon and countless stars adorning the night sky. A mischievous smirk curved my lips as excitement coursed through me. Without hesitation, I stood up and walked towards the window, opening it wide. I threw myself out with a bold leap, landing gracefully on the ground below. As I let my transformation take hold, my body shifted and altered until I assumed the form I had known throughout my life. Inhaling deeply, I exhaled a plume of smoke, relishing the familiarity of being in my true self.

Taking a step forward, I unfurled my majestic wings, their soft beats stirring the surrounding trees. I soared, ascending higher into the sky, leaving the world below behind. The city lay peacefully asleep beneath me as I allowed my gaze to sweep over its slumbering beauty. Humans, peculiar creatures that they were, never failed to captivate me. Their existence, their intricate lives, held an enduring fascination. Even dragons couldn't build and sustain such a marvel.

While our dragon cities exuded a more primal essence, I knew that dragons possessed magic, enabling us to construct remarkable creations, albeit infrequently. As I continued my flight, I gradually descended towards Central Park, drawn to a large shimmering pool that glistened under the moon's gentle illumination. A smile graced my lips as I approached the water's edge, bending down to take a refreshing sip.

Allowing myself momentarily indulged, I lowered my muzzle, gently lapping at the cool, tranquil waters. Each sip brought a sense of liberation and tranquility, a respite from the constraints of my human existence. It was a fleeting moment that allowed me to bask in the pure joy of being a dragon, even if only for a few precious minutes.

The nocturnal symphony of creatures in the night enveloped my senses, their melodic calls and rustling movements captivating my attention. In this human city, there would be no prey for me to hunt, but I had no hunger to sate. Instead, I craved the simple pleasure of basking in the moonlight. With a graceful movement, I stepped away from the pool, making my way to a softly illuminated spot atop a small cresting hill.

Settling onto the velvety grass, I curled my tail around myself, creating a comfortable embrace. Fatigue washed over me, a natural consequence of my endeavors, and I let out a contented yawn. Closing my golden eyes, I succumbed to the embrace of slumber, the gentle rhythm of waves brushing against the distant shore lulling me into a peaceful rest.