CHAPTER 9

Inara's pov

It was late at night , I was talking with Zeheb , while eating the takeout brought by Zeheb. Augustus was out due to some work but before going out , he cleared it up that he will be staying here tonight .

"So...you really love your father don't you?" Zeheb asked me after a long conversation about the importance of family .

"Yes I do . He has been with me since the very start. You know Zeheb....ever since I was little , I wasn't someone who would accept defeat easily , I would go and fight , if I felt I was wronged . My mother always used to scold me for it , but my father always supported me and tried to understand my perspective. When no one used to play with me , he used to be there...he used to play with barbies with me . I used to even apply makeup on his face and he would just laugh and play with me.

Leave my memories...tell me how was your relationship with your father?" I asked her and I noticed how her smile fell down her lips. Her eyes saddened and I realised that by mistake I said something which was a sensitive topic for her.

"I am sorry...If I asked something-"before I could complete my words , she just smiled again.

"You don't need to be sorry...it's just ... It's the first time someone has asked a question like this from me , so I was thinking about what I should answer" she told me .

"Oh...just tell me anything. I am here to listen" I told her and she smiled lightly.

"See...I used to have a father back in the village with whom I used to play with and roam around but he died . Another family adopted me and with them I don't have many memories . I grew up pretty much alone" she told me and I felt my heart clench at her words.

"You live alone or with your foster family?" I asked her and she nodded.

"Alone...but it's not like I ain't happy . I am happy and satisfied with my life" she told me.

"Why not with your foster family?" I asked her and she looked at me and told me ,

"They died too"

"I-I am very sorry to ask about it...I really am" I quickly apologized.

"That's fine Inara...you don't need to apologise" Zeheb told me while gently holding my hand and giving it a reassuring squeeze. Her palms were soft and warm .

"Anyways let's switch the topic. Tell me how is your relationship with Zayan ? I know it's a contract marriage but still...what kind of bonding do you both share?" Zeheb asked me.

"To be honest...I hate him . I really do . I hate the way he talks about other people as if they are just mere objects and how he forces rules. I can understand he is a mafia and that's what he is supposed to be like.. but I can't just like him"I told her honestly.

I was tired pretending to be in love with him this whole month and lying about everything. Talking with Zeheb provided me one way in which I could talk about my honest feelings about Zayan , as she knew everything. It worked too , I was feeling less heavy in my heart and the feeling of being suffocated by the ties of lies felt to be loosened.

After taking a few minutes, Augustus came towards Zeheb with a smile .

"Azza-Azzalamuhalaikhum"he said in his usual voice with happiness making me and Zeheb break into laughter at his pronunciation. I believe he was excited to greet us in an Islamic way , now that he was completely a muslim . But it didn't come out as he expected.