Chapter 12

"You're never even here, it's like you don't want to live here or something!"

Johanna yelled at her sister who stopped by to grab an overnight bag of things and then leave for a weeklong trip with friends.

It was so wild that her sister was not doing all of this while they lived with their mother. She was home every night, every weekend they spent together, and she loved their long talks at night. Her sister was her best friend. Because they were a year and a few months apart, they always were close. Even when Zee was the bossy big sister, she loved her and would not trade her in for the world.

"Damn JoJo, I just want to turn up a bit. Drank a little, smoke a little with my peeps."

"Your peeps? You're seeing someone and you won't tell me. I thought we told each other everything?"

"And I do sis. Ain't nothing to tell. It's just some friends, we're going up to Lake of the Ozarks."

"Maybe I want to go." She didn't, but at least an invite she could turn down would be nice.

"Come on sis, don't be the little sister I have to drag along but you don't know anyone. Besides, you would not like this crew. Mostly guys from school and stuff."

"Well..." It was on the tip of her tongue to ask, but she did not know how her sister would feel about it. She asked anyway. "Is Tristan going as well?"

"That bastard is not part of this elite crew. This is just the auto side. Besides, his punk ass taking the summer off, and now he's going to be behind in his program. I'm trying to get up out there, get a job doing something that does not feel like a job."

She watched her sister finish packing her bag. Her room was still a mess, but the only times she was ever home was to go to sleep and then she would wake up and leave.

"I'm leaving my car here. Better not have some jackass trying to jack my shit."

"You act as if it's so bad around here. No one wants that dusty car."

"Good."

She crossed her arms across her chest. "You didn't even say anything about the pictures of GiGi and Granddad I hung up."

"Yeah, Granddad was the mack huh? Guess that's where I got it from." She popped her imaginary color since she was wearing a wife beater and khaki pants.

She still had not told Zee about the journals and did not know if she wanted to now. She was leaving her for a whole week. Leaving her and not caring that she would be stuck in the house with nothing to do.

"I already talked to Tristan. He'll be here all week."

"Great!" she said with a bit of sarcasm. Even though they were getting along fine now, he was not her favorite person in the world.

A friend picked Zee up and she was gone.

Tristan was lounged out in the living room watching TV. She did not want to intrude on him so she went back up to her room and grabbed her grandmother's journal.

Dear Diary

Finally!

Finally, finally, finally!

The kiss I have dreamed of all my life. My first kiss was everything I expected it to be and more. It was with Gregory so of course he would be. We were just hanging out at my house, supposedly under the watchful eye of my sister Addie, but she left us alone for a few moments and that's when Gregory asked if he could kiss me.

Why yes! I have been wanting the kiss since I first laid eyes on him. There was no turning back now.

He has the softest lips. I could taste his mouth, the flavor of orange from the soda pop he had earlier. I was worried I would not catch on, but it was as if I had kissed him all my life. The way he sucked on my lip as if I tasted delicious. Hahahahaha!