Chapter 22

Once she followed Tristan into the kitchen, she did not know what to say to him. Her sister was paying no attention to her or Tristan, they probably did not realize they left the room.

"I figured you needed an out from the make-out session going down." Tristan opened the fridge, stuck his head inside, and moved things around as he looked for something.

Her shoulders hunched up in a shrug. Her sister and her girlfriend did not bother her at all, it was him and he should know that. "Whatever, it's what people do when they have a girlfriend."

She could see him stop and watch her out of the corner of her eyes. He did not like that statement at all, so checkmate for her. She ignored his stare as she opened the cabinets to look for snacks.

"Ooh! I'll make popcorn." She tried to reach for the canister of popcorn kernels, but it was on a higher shelf. She looked around the kitchen till she spotted her grandmother's old, but trusty step stool. Her grandmother always used it, and even though it was old and rusty she needed it so so would not throw it out.

"You know, I'm right here, I can reach it for you."

She ignored Tristan, grabbed the step stool, and positioned it as needed. As soon as she took the two steps on it to reach the popcorn, Tristan reached over and grabbed it down, placed it on the counter with a thud.

"Why are you so stubborn?"

"Why are you so annoying?" She still stood on the stool, so for the first time, she was at eye level with him. "No one said they needed you."

"But you did."

"No, I didn't! You saw me just about to get it when you-"

"You like to argue for no reason, huh?"

"Me?" She looked him square in the eyes, upset, but still heavily turned on by him. She wanted to kiss him again so bad it hurt to pull away. He was so flipping hot! His braids were a little fuzzy now, but it did nothing to take away from his looks. She noticed he had a slight amount of freckles on his face around his nose.

She wanted to kiss every last one.

She wanted to be out there like her sister, cuddled with him in his arms making out while they watched a sweet, romantic movie.

Tristan did not break eye contact with her either. They stood there, gazing at each other, no words spoken before Tristan finally opened his mouth.

"Get down," Tristan calmly said to her.

"Make me."

He grabbed her by her waist and planted her feet on the floor, but continued to hold her. His hands wrapped around her waist. She wanted to stay right there forever. She moved closer to him and pressed her body against his.

"Don't do that," he whispered, the energy between them so intense.

"Why not?" The words barely escaped her. Tristan made her dizzy and she lo to ved the feeling he gave her.

"You know why."

She did not care! Her whole body screamed for him to kiss her again.

"I want you, Tristan." There, she said what she wanted, and let the chips fall where they may.

"No." He released her and moved away from her, opening the refrigerator again. "Make the damn popcorn, I'm getting some drinks."

He rejected her yet again.

She held back tears as she plugged in her grandmother's old popcorn maker and made three separate batches of popcorn. One for Zee and Helena, one for Tristan, and another for herself. Tristan mixed a pitcher of lemonade made from concentrate, added ice, and cut up lemon wedges. They worked in silence and said nothing else.