Rejection

Priya POV:

Another Friday afternoon had passed, and I was missing my family. They have been truly a part of my life since I was a child, especially Anand, Vinod, and Vivek Uncle. It truly helped to experience a father's love to know that they look out for me and love me as a father would. They have told me numerous stories about my father and how he cherished me as a baby. I had a photo book of him that I adored, and it was the only thing I remembered about him. Since my mother hasn't visited my grandparents in a while, I made the decision to go see them. A woman in her mid-seventies opened the door to the home where my mom and aunt lived I knocked on it. "Priya Beti. Tum(You)" I recognized the voice of my Nani the moment I heard it. "Aap kaisi hai Nani? Nana kahaa hai(How are you doing, Nani? Where is Nana?)" She embraced me as she wept happily. When he spotted me, my Nana immediately dashed down. "Aap ek tejasvi yuva mahila ke roop mein vikasit ho gai hai. Mujhe is samay bhi tumhaari maa ki yaad aati hai. Vah ek yuva mahila hua karati thi jo jiddi thi. Tumhaare Papa ji bhi aise hi the. Lekin pahale, vah usake aasapaas chup rahata tha. Mujhe vaastav mein usaka yaad aati hai(You have developed into a stunning young lady. I still recall your mum at this point. She used to be a young woman who was headstrong. Your dad was also like that. But before, he remained silent around her. I really miss him.)" As I consoled him, he cast a melancholy look to the ground. "Aap yahaan aane ke liye bahut lambe samay se intajaar kar rahe hain. Kya aapako lassi, coffee ya chai pasand hai? Jaisa ki mujhe yaad hai, lassi aapaki maa ki pasandeeda thi.(You've been waiting so long to come here. Do you prefer lassi, coffee, or tea? Lassi was, as I recall, your mother's favorite.)" As she smiled, I wished for lassi. 

Sita:

"Mujhe haal hi mein aapake vishvavidyaalay ke kaaranaamon ke baare mein pata chala

"Mujhe haal hi mein aapake vishvavidyaalay ke kaaranaamon ke baare mein pata chala. Main romaanchit hoon ki aapake paas itane adbhut dost hain. Ve ek baar hamase milane aae aur hamaari lambi baatacheet hui. Zoya aur vah aadami jisase vah pyaar karati hai, shaadi kar rahe hain. Aap ki maa aur usaki maa sabase achchhi dost theen. Alia Khan usaka naam tha.(I recently learned about the adventures of your university. I'm thrilled that you have such wonderful friends. They once came to see us, and we had a lengthy conversation. Zoya and the man she loves are getting married. You Mom and her mother were besties. Alia Khan was her name.)" I was shocked because she had no idea. "Mama ab shaayad hi kabhi kisi se baat karati hai. Vah haal hi mein bahut shaant hai. Mujhe usaki asaliyat jaanane mein khushi hogi. Use bas achchhe ank laane ki chinta hai.(Mom hardly ever talks to anyone anymore. She is so quiet lately. I'd love to get to know the real her. She just worries about getting good scores.)" Nani lightly smiled while holding my cheeks. "Mere pyaari, vah tumase bahut pyaar karati hai. Bas use aur adhik sakriy hone ke liye protsaahit kare. Kya usane koi ruchi vyakt ki hai(My dear, she adores you so much. Simply encourage her to be more active. Has she expressed any interest?)" I came up with the perfect plan a few days later. When I got to the village for my summer vacation, I rapped on her door. "Mama, can I come in?" She smiled cheerfully as she nodded. I started by taking a long breath. "Main aapase kisi important vishay par baatacheet karana chaahata tha. Kaash tum mere bahut kareeb hote, jaise tum Radha didi ya Anjana di ki paravaah karate ho, usase kaheen jyaada jo tum abhi ho. Aisa lagata hai ki aapako keval meri shiksha mein ruchi hai, isalie mujhe aisa lagata hai jaise mujhe aapake saath jyaada samay bitaane ka avasar nahi milata hai. Jaisa ki Sadhana Mami ya Sapna Mami karati hain, aapane kabhi bhi mujhase baatacheet nahi ki ya mere saath kisi manoranjan gatividhiyon mein shaamil nahi hue. Haalaanki main samajhata hoo ki aap mere Papa ko khone ka duhkh mana rahe hain, aapako apane 23 saal puraane sanskaran ko punah praapt karane kee aavashyakata hai. Kya Papa is Preeti ko dekhana chaahenge(I wanted to have a conversation with you about something important. I wish you were much closer to me like how you care for Radha didi or Anjana di than you are right now. You seem to only be interested in my education, so I feel as if I don't get the opportunity to spend much time with you. As Sadhana Aunty or Sapna Aunty do, you have never communicated with me or engaged in any pastime activities with me. Although I understand that you are grieving over the loss of my Papa, you need to reclaim the 23-year-old version of yourself. Would Papa like to see this Preeti?)"She gave my forehead an affectionate kiss.