Chapter Twenty-Four

Outside, it was pouring buckets. Thunder and lightning ripped through the sky, but it might as well have been faint murmuring in the background. I sat between Kylie and Grayson, and it was nice to sit without having to cling to him for once. I didn't mind, but it does get tiring constantly trying to remember when to hold someone's hand and when to act flirtatious. Almost everyone in attendance at the picnic knew the secret, with the exception of Mr. Answell. Even then, it wasn't like he needed extra convincing.

        "I don't want to leave," Kylie announced to the group, leaning back on her palms.

        "Well you can't just live with Grayson and me forever," I reasoned, licking frosting off my fingers.

        "No, but you'll get Christmas and all this wedding planning and I'm sad I have to miss it," she sighed. "Christmas in Arlington is boring, it's just me and Nina and my dog."

        "What kind of dog do you have?" Clay asked her, still attempting smoothness.

        "A yorkie, her name is Doodle," she said, holding out her phone.

        He grinned, peering at the screen. "Awww."

        "I don't expect Christmas to be exciting, or more exciting than any other Christmas," I said, taking a sip of lemonade.

        Grayson snorted into his cup. "Trust me, it's exciting. Between mom being crazy and mom's holiday party, you don't want to miss a second of it."

        "Do I have to come to the party?" Clay whined.

        "Yes, it's a chance where we all get to see other," Mr. Answell said, being the grown up in the room.

        "But we'll have all seen each other at Gracelynn's wedding two weeks before," his son complained. "And even you admit that the party is always boring."

        "Maybe, but I don't get to see you boys or your mother nearly enough. So you better RSVP yes," Mr. Answell said, being jokingly stern.

        "I know where I'd like to stick my RSVP," Clay mumbled, tearing off a piece of sandwich.

        Nina was horrified. "Clay, that's your mother you're talking about!" she gasped.

        "She sure doesn't treat me as her son. Unless it's convenient, of course," he said bitterly. Then he seemed to realize his own gloominess because he brightened and said, "But no worries, Jackie and Grayson will adopt me sometime soon."

        "Uh, since when?" I asked in alarm.

        "Since you two fell in love and became amazing," he replied. "Who wouldn't want you two as parents?"

        "Everybody," Grayson argued. "We're–" he stopped. I got the feeling he'd been about to say irresponsible. "We're...not very fun."

        Clay choked on his sandwich.

        "Are you kidding, Jackie is great with kids!" Kylie said, once again choosing unhelpfulness. I shook my head vigorously but she chose to go blind at that moment. "She's helped babysit my little sister a ton and they're just so cute together. She makes the best preschool games off the top of her head, too."

        "Is that so?" Grayson asked, a twinkle in his eye that made me go uh oh.

        "Yeah, how did you not tell him this Jackie?" Kylie asked, astonished.

        My glare could've practically killed her. "It didn't come up," I said truthfully.

        "It should've," she pouted. Stupid girl. She knew how temporary this whole arrangement was and she's still pushing children. And a future. And a relationship. Maybe I should discreetly get rid of both her and Grayson. Double whammy: she's gone, and then I can't even confirm her dying wishes because he's gone too. Oopsies.