Chapter One Hundred And Four

We got married on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial.

        It was just at sunrise, well before the tourists arrived. Grayson found it rather ironic, getting married in a place that reeked of such Americanism. But he was the one who had suggested it, admitting it was a lovely place to hold a wedding. 

        Kylie came into our room in the middle of the night, whispering sweet encouragement as she pulled away from Grayson's warm embrace. We were staying with her for just one night, that way we didn't have to fly in before dawn. I thought it rather mean that she'd taken me away from my beloved so brazenly, so I was somewhat grouchy as I crunched my way through a muffin, which was my last-minute breakfast plan.

        She did my hair and makeup, all done minimally and with little fluff and pizzazz. While Laura hadn't insisted on anything crazy, I'd less than liked her suggestions for hair and makeup. Today I just wore my usual makeup and my hair down in waves. Pretty much my usual self, just done with enough product to last an entire day. 

        She'd also taken charge of one of the other spare rooms, claiming that whatever schedule Grayson had would surely interfere with ours. She was half right–when I headed down the hallway, I could hear the shower in the guest bathroom running. Kylie would've claimed it as a catastrophe, while I would've merely shrugged. My way was easier, but we avoided the situation altogether by using the spare room.

        "Your dress is so beautiful," she sighed, carefully lifting the bag from the closet.

        "It's nothing compared to yours," I remarked as I flipped open my jewelry box.

        "Mine was just mine. It's unique, just like yours. They don't deserve to be compared," she said, unzipping the bag and tossing it aside. 

        I yelped. "No, don't get glitter all over the bedspread!"

        "Why? No one sleeps here," she said cheerfully.

        I groaned, "Because that is a scary load of laundry no one deserves to tackle."

        "Pish posh. Consider it a bridesmaid duty," Kylie replied.

        I sighed and slipped out of the sweats I'd thrown on earlier. She helped me wiggle into the dress, which I had to admit was the most beautiful dress I'd ever wanted. It was simple, with flat straps and a basic bodice, then a flowing skirt that came to the floor. What made it perfect was the sparkling glitter the dress was doused in, done to the point where every step shimmered, but it wasn't quite too flashy. 

        "Here are your shoes," Kylie said eagerly, handing me the pair of white sandals. I crammed them on and stood, adjusting the single lotus flower hair pin on the right side of my head. It was part of the set Grayson had given me from our previous honeymoon.

        "How do I look?" I asked anxiously, looking in the mirror hanging on the closet door.

        She had tears in her eyes. "Jackie, you just look so much happier this time around. I mean, you're absolutely glowing."

        "I am a bit more excited. Just a little," I joked.

        "Yeah," she sniffled. "We should go. Clay will be here any minute to get the groom, and we need to be gone before then."

        Just as she spoke, a faint noise came from the window. I looked over just in time to see the next twig hit the glass, easily bouncing off. I groaned and ran over to open it, whisper-yelling, "Clay! You'll break the window!"