Chapter Thirty-Eight

The next morning, we were shockingly normal. We said our good mornings and had breakfast together. Drank orange juice and ate waffles like a normal couple. There wasn't any awkwardness like I'd thought there would be. I rather liked the atmosphere.

        That is, things were normal until a hint of murder wafted through the apartment. It ignited when I went to brush my teeth in my own bathroom. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and was so horrified that I dropped my toothbrush in the sink. 

        "Grayson!" I shouted. Here's the murder part.

        He skidded into the doorway, sliding in his socks. "What's wrong?" he yelped.

        Furious, I pointed to the deep red mark at the base of my neck. "You jerk!" 

        Suddenly he was no longer panicked. He grinned, leaning against the doorway with an infuriating casualness. "Did I do that?" he asked innocently.

        "You are despicable," I grumbled, yanking open one of the drawers. I just had to have some makeup that would fix this. 

        "Hey, no, don't cover it up, you look good as my girl," Grayson said, his eyes twinkling.

        "This does not make me your girl," I said warningly.

        "Sure it does," he said, hanging on the doorframe with both hands. "Only my lips get to bruise my wife."

        "Possessive moron," I snapped. Phew. Foundation.

        "You know I'm messing with you, Jacks," he said, letting go of the doorway and putting his hands in his pockets. 

        I pointed to my neck again, arguing, "This feels pretty legitimate."

        "Okay, yes, I'm sorry that it happened. But not for teasing," he said, spinning away and skipping through my bedroom. Skipping. The man is a chaotic toddler with a degree in seduction.

        Someone needs to put him in a timeout. 

        Grayson left me alone, which probably wasn't a great idea considering I was planning his murder. The murder plans were halted by four interruptions throughout the day.

        The first three things were gifts: one each from Nina, Kylie, and Clay.

        Nina's gift was my favorite: a huge gift set of lotions and facemasks and other fancy-smelling things. Her card told me to use it for a self-care day without Grayson, since I needed girl time even if I was stuck in Canada without female friends. I appreciated the gift, since it had been a while since I'd taken time for myself.

        Kylie's gift was, well, a Kylie gift. I liked the enormous box of chocolates. That was nice. That was normal. What wasn't nice or normal was the card game that was definitely R-rated. I mean really, did she think that a game where you have to do a dare or take a shot was a great idea with me? Apparently so, because that's what she sent. I immediately tossed it in the garbage can, not giving it a second look.

        Clay's gift was equally as useless and idiotic: boxers that looked suspiciously like Grayson's size. The note in the box said that they were for "whoever needed them in the Langford-Answell household" I took the brand new package and drove it down to a donation center, figuring I could put them to actual good use.

        The fourth thing I received almost made me grateful for Kylie's card game: a phone call from Laura. It was such a scare that as soon as I saw her name on the screen, I threw it to Grayson.