Chapter Ninety-Four

The day of the wedding arrived, meaning Nina, Kylie and I all crammed ourselves into my car and started driving across Virginia. It was the perfect day, with a gentle breeze and warmth streaming in through the windows. Perfect for a beach wedding at sunset.

        I was driving, Kylie was navigating, and Nina was in the backseat controlling the music. Well, I said Kylie was navigating, but really she was on the phone.

        "Who was that one?" Nina asked after the seventh phone call.

        "The hairstylist. She said she's going to get there at three," Kylie said, anxiously chewing on the inside of her cheek.

        "That seems pretty good," I remarked.

        "Yeah. I just hope everything goes smoothly. I am being weird and controlling?" she asked abruptly.

        "Not at all," Nina assured her. "You just want it to be nice."

        "I'd tell you if you were being weird and controlling," I chimed in.

        The phone rang again and Kylie frantically answered. But then she relaxed and said, "I can't wait to see you too."

        I caught Nina's eye in the mirror and we both grinned. The way she talks to him compared to everyone else is the sweetest thing.

        "Yeah. We're a couple hours away." She paused, her smile only getting gooier by the second. "I miss you too. Love you."

        "Was that the florist?" Nina asked, sarcasm apparent in her smile.

        "Hilarious," Kylie snorted.

        "Seriously, when was the last time you guys saw each other?" I asked, keeping my eyes on the road.

        She faltered. "Three weeks."

        That actually was a long time for a couple that was engaged and getting married in five hours.

        "Well, at least you're seeing him today," Nina offered. "Besides, you know who hasn't seen each other in two months?"

        "Oh gosh," I groaned.

        She smiled. "You knew who I was talking about. You're thinking about him right now, aren't you?"

        "I'm thinking about passing this semi," I said honestly.

        "It's going to be so romantic," Kylie crowed. "They're going to see each other for the first time after the long winter and run into each other's arms and kiss and profess their love and crap, I don't care if Grayson proposes at my wedding, in fact, I'd be honored if he did."

        "None of that is happening," I interjected. "Realistically, we might say hi. Maybe."

        "Remember what you promised," she warned.

        "I know," I said calmly. "I might not choose to say hi though."

        "The agony. The tension. They would make a great book," Nina said dreamily.

        "As much as I appreciate you guys being my wingwomen, life is not a book, or a movie, and we're actual people with feelings and thoughts," I sighed. This would be a long two hours in a car.

        "Feelings and thoughts that say you're both in love," Kylie said.

        "No, feelings and thoughts that were hurt and destroyed and can't come back together," I said, a little more bitterly than I should've.