Chapter Fifty-Four

"Do you know what she said to me then? She told me that it was incredible I'd even graduated high school. The nerve of that woman!" Kylie said bitterly.

        "She doesn't know what she's talking about, okay?" I said, carefully applying eyeliner. "She probably barely even graduated from her fancy little boarding school. Or bribed her way into passing grades."

        "Fair point," she agreed. "Pass me the curling iron, would you?"

        We were getting ready together, preparing for the worst meal of our lives. Actually, the meal itself would be fantastic. Laura had bragged about world-class chefs preparing it, so hopefully it would be good. Although if I was a world-class chef, I could discreetly slip a vial of poison into the mashed potatoes–it's a good thing I'm not a chef.

        "Zip me up please?" I asked. Kylie nodded and did so. I thanked her before putting in the diamond stud earrings Grayson had bought me on my birthday (something courtesy of our nightmarish shopping trip). Kylie stood next to me, looking at our reflections. "We look so good," she said, grinning.

        "Yes we do," I agreed. Our theme for the evening was "upset Laura." Yes, we came up with a theme. My outfit was elegant. Simple. Something that I had asked Gracelynn over the phone about because I wanted it to be perfect. My dress was a metallic bluish purple, shimmering like the night sky. It was modest, coming down to my ankles and the neckline just a short v. The sleeves came to my wrists, and I wore flats. I looked simple. Very unsexy. Very unlikely to get pregnant tonight.

        Kylie was the complete opposite. In hopes to entirely get rid of the thing, I had lent her the silver dress that Grayson had found so lovely. It fit her somewhat sketchily, as she was taller and curvier than me. She told me that this was even better, wanting to horrify Laura dearest as much as possible. She wore sky-high heels and had her hair up in a high ponytail.

        "She's going to flip," she muttered, putting on ruby-red lipstick. "And look at you, all not pregnant and undesirable."

        "Gee, thanks," I grumbled. 

        Her chaotic, evil grin softened and she said, "Seriously, Jackie? You look really beautiful. I mean beautiful. Like elegant and lovely and should be in a painting or something. Like a princess."

        I smiled wryly. "Laura will hate me as a princess." 

        "Exactly," Kylie confirmed. "So let's go down there and make a lot of people stare."

        I hated when people stared at me, as most of us do. It's like knowing you have food in your teeth and being able to do nothing about it. But I followed her down the hall anyways, wondering just how long it would take me to throw up from nerves. 

        I could see Clay and Grayson at the bottom of the grand staircase, talking in low voices. Grayson noticed us first, as he was facing us, and when he looked up I think the world stopped spinning for a minute.

        He'd only looked at me that way a couple times before. With those bright hazel eyes in a way that didn't fit the way he usually looked at me. Usually the way he looked at me was something that made my face burn and only said how attracted he was to me. But this was different. This was just utter happiness, happiness that I didn't even know how to describe. It's like he's melting before me, and somehow that made me blush and smile. 

        He took my hand, kissing the back of it with his soft lips. "Jacks, you look beautiful," he whispered, as if the words said aloud would be too much.

        "Thank you," I said shyly. "Y-you look really nice too." Grayson was dressed impeccably, as always, but today he felt...I don't know. More familiar? Nicer in his suit? Something was different, I just couldn't tell exactly what. 

        Extending his arm, he pulled me closer and murmured, "I am honestly wondering how my brother will survive the night."

        Glancing at Clay, I almost choked. He was blushing furiously, unable to form any coherent sentences as Kylie hugged him. Snickering, I whispered, "I know we just did it to mess with your dear mother, but I think she likes tormenting him as a bonus."

        Grayson laughed under his breath before saying much louder, "Are we ready to go, brother?"

        "Uh...uh, yeah," Clay stammered, adjusting his tie ever so discreetly. "Let's go uh..." he trailed off, clearly forgetting his entire life mission.

        "I am going to have so much fun tonight," Kylie smirked, pleased with the success of her look.

        We strode into the ballroom, the four of us, looking fabulous. Mr. Answell and Laura sat at each end of the table, both dressed like movie stars. Mr. Answell, being a gentleman, stood while Grayson and Clay pulled out Kylie's and my chairs. I'll admit, I felt very important. Perhaps I actually was a princess.

         To confirm this, Laura smiled at me and said, "Jackie, darling, your dress is beautiful, wherever did you get it?"

        "Kylie loaned it to me," I said. Next to me, Grayson mildly choked on his glass of water.

        Laura's smile wavered ever so slightly. "Well, it looks just amazing on you."

        "Thank you," I said, my voice oh-so-sugary-sweet.

        Mr. Answell said grace, then we began eating. The food was brought out to us, and I instantly noticed that it was not your typical Thanksgiving meal. Perhaps I could've admitted it was more Canadian, except logic said that it was just Laura being Laura. There were no rolls. No rolls at all. This fact hurt my inner child. There was turkey, and cranberry sauce. There was a lack of pumpkin pie. There was also a lack of whipped cream, which I guess made sense with a lack of pie, but only added insult to injury.

        For a while, full mouths made good stuffers for uncomfortable conversations. Even Clay, who could run his mouth no matter what the situation, was too busy drowning in mashed squash. But the silence was too good to be true, and could only last so long.

        "Goodness, Kylie, another helping of mashed potatoes? Doesn't your mother feed you enough?" Laura asked, her eyes wide. Like an insane raccoon.

        Kylie, being brave, smiled and said, "My mother? Oh, no, I cook for myself, living in my own house and all."

        "Really?" Laura was shocked that Kylie had the mental capabilities to live on her own. "Well then, perhaps it might be good for you to take smaller portions."

        Clay dropped his knife on his plate, the metal clanking loudly. "Laura, mother, what might you be implying?" he asked thickly.

        "Nothing!" she replied, her tone oozing innocence. "I'm only worried for your girlfriend's health, that's all."

        "Her health? How peculiar that you would bring that up," he remarked, and I knew instantly that there was about to be a Tornado of Clay Fun.

        Now Laura actually looked concerned. "Why, Kylie, are you feeling unwell? Or you've eaten too much?"

        "I've eaten just the right amount, thank you," she said coolly.

        Underneath the tablecloth, I was clenching the edge of my seat. Grayson lightly grabbed my wrist, reminding me to be calm. The calm would only last so long at this rate.

        "Well, maybe you ought to skip dessert, you certainly could use it," Laura mused.

        Okay, now I am going on a murder spree. Grayson, you shall have to bail me out.

        Clay, surprisingly, directed the conversation a different way. He stood, raising his glass of wine to the sky and saying, "Since my mother has so helpfully brought it up, I think now is the time where we should all say what we've been thankful for this year. I know that I myself have many things that deserve my gratitude, mainly my lovely Kylie, but now there is something bigger than that. Something spectacular. Gentlemen, ladies and swine, I am happy to announce that Kylie and I are expecting our first child."