Chapter Seventy-Two

Numbly, I reached over and shut off the alarm. It was still dark out, but the best kind of dark, where you know it's early and you should just stay in bed where it's warm and cozy. I closed my eyes and nestled back into Grayson's arms, who by the way, had slept straight through the alarm. I wished I could've done the same, but at least it was quiet now. I drifted back into the silence, enjoying how everything felt soft and comfortable.

        Part of me vaguely remembered that he wasn't exactly dressed. The other part of me didn't care in the slightest. He was hugging me around the waist, his warmth enveloping me. I sighed a little, deciding that my wedding wasn't really all that important and could easily be sacrificed for another hour of sleep.

        "Jacks?" he said hoarsely.

        I whimpered, shying away from his voice. Grayson was the kind of person to annoy you awake knowing you had to get up. It was one of his few but worst flaws.

        "Jacks, I thought you had to get up," he said drowsily.

        "No," I murmured, hiding my face in his shoulder. "I want to stay in bed with you. You're cozy."

        "You're cozy too," he said, sneaking a sleepy kiss to the back of my neck.

        My eyes drifted shut again, close to letting myself fall asleep. Wrapped around me, Grayson's body relaxed, signaling that he was in the same drowsy state.

        BANG.

        "Jackie, we are running sixteen minutes late," Kylie's voice said, much too cheerful at this early of an hour. It was so startling that I sat up, totally disoriented.

        She stopped short, standing in front of the bed. "Oh! Um, sorry, I didn't realize..."

        Grayson scrambled to yank the blankets up to his chin, his face crimson red. "Kylie! Knock? And how did you even get in?"

        "Clay gave me the spare key to the spare room," she said, giving me a significant look. "Anyways, I'll let you guys get cleaned up–I mean, get dressed. Jackie, I need you available in thirty minutes. Actually, twenty-eight."

        "No, Kylie, that's not–" But she was already gone, even with my pleading. 

        Grayson rubbed his eyes and said, "You go ahead and shower, so Kylie doesn't murder you."

        "Thanks. You sure?" I asked, rummaging through my suitcase.

        "Yeah, I can take a quick nap," he mumbled, laying down again. I envied him briefly, wanting a nap of my own.

        I went into the bathroom, mentally prepping myself. Unfortunately, it was a long shower, mostly because I knew Kylie would kill me if I had a single speck of dead skin on my body. I conditioned my hair to death, taking up most of the thirty minutes she'd allotted me.

        Grayson was still peacefully passed out when I stepped back into the bedroom. I smiled as I undid the towel wrapped around my hair, saying, "Your turn for the shower."

        When he didn't answer, I went over to his side of the bed and ran my fingers through his hair. "Grayson, wake up," I whispered gently.

        Clearly dazed, his hazel eyes opened and he gave me a serene little smile. "Hey, Jacks."

        "Hey. Better get up, it's your wedding day," I said, my own smile only growing.

        He sighed and settled in deeper. "No," he groaned.