Chapter Seventy-Seven

"What secret?"

        We were screwed. We're dead. It had all gone down the drain. The plan, the happily-ever-after, the peace, all of it. Gone. Gone to this woman before me.

        "You know exactly what I'm talking about. Although I must admit, I didn't think you were quite this stupid," she whispered.

        "I don't know what you're talking about, actually," I said coolly. Would she arrest me? Would I go to Canadian prison? It's probably better than American prison.

        "Jackie, you can't marry Grayson for his money. It won't work," she said simply. "He has a financial statement that says that in order for his wife to inherit or receive any money, they have to be married for at least twelve years. So yes, maybe you could've gotten away with living the rich life, but overall, your plan is doomed to fail."

        I laughed. I laughed in her face. I was so relieved that I laughed in her face. It was like a bomb had gone off, only to realize that it was just a vinegar and baking soda experiment. Wiping the sweat of anxiety off my forehead, I said joyously, "Oh, I know. Grayson told me about that statement, back when we met in Barcelona. I told him I didn't care about his money, I just loved him. Even if he were a poor man, I would've still adored him."

        She didn't look totally convinced. "Still. When you divorce him next week, you will not get a single penny of his fortune."

        "Divorce? Who said anything about divorce? And the only fortune I want is an eternal happiness with Grayson," I promised. Was I lying straight to her face? Of course–we were definitely divorcing next week. Was Grayson going to force me to take some of his money so I'd be safe financially for the rest of my life? Probably, I could easily see him doing that. There were so many lies going on right now, I wasn't certain which ones were real.

        "Hmm. Well, I'm keeping an eye on you, especially once you get back," Laura said, her eyes narrowed.

        I made a bold choice. "If you're so sure I'm just playing him for his money, how come you even let me go on the honeymoon? How come you don't have me thrown out of my own wedding?" I asked serenely.

        She smiled again. "I still need a grandson somehow. And I will make sure Grayson gets full custody of him should one arrive sometime this year."

        It took every drop of self control not to not vomit all over her. I smiled wide and said, "Well, since I clearly can't love Grayson for anything other than his money, I'm certain you won't be getting a grandson. Enjoy the rest of the party."

        Walking away, I took my bouquet from the table and headed towards the hallway. Grayson met me at the door, saying, "You ready? You've just got to throw your flowers, then we're out."

        I pecked his cheek. "Trust me, I've never been more ready."

        The bouquet toss was actually going to be more of an afterthought. It was to be ceremoniously tossed from the window of our carriage as we galloped away, into the sunset. Or rather, into the dark snow clouds of Canada.

        Many of the guests had gathered on the steps of the building, watching as we ran out into the frigid night air. Snowflakes were coming thick but gently, only beginning to dust the pavement. Handfuls of rice were tossed as we sprinted out, heading towards the glittering carriage. The compartment was a glittering pale blue, reminding me of a crystal fallen from the sky. The horses were pure white, standing at the ready. The driver held the silver reins in his hands, preparing for our magical journey.

        I stood out on the sidewalk, my back to the conservatory. There was a loud gasp as I threw my bouquet over my head. I knew who had caught it a second later, thanks to one voice sticking out amongst the polite clapping and cheering.

        "WHOOOO BABY! Let's go!" Clay shouted, picking up Kylie and twirling her around. She laughed in delight, holding my flowers safely above her head. I grinned, happy to know that he really was excited to someday marry her.

        But then, then, it was finally time to go. Grayson held my hand, pulling me along as we approached freedom. Freedom tasted glorious, like cold winter air and buttercream frosting. I matched his long-legged gait, chasing the fact that we were free. Free from Laura, from the wedding, from all of it. 

        "Princess," he said, bowing as he pulled up the door to the carriage. I took his extended hand as he helped up the steps, my gown billowing as I sat down. Grayson followed, sitting down next to me and holding my hand tightly.

        Kylie leaned up, her head poking through the window. "Have a great time!" she cried, kissing my cheek excitedly.

        Clay waved, yelling, "Bring me back a souvenir!" 

        "We will!" I called back. Grayson laughed, knowing I would put a lot of effort into making sure Clay got his souvenir.

        We kept waving as the carriage pulled away, the clip-clop of hooves leading us into the streets. Soon it was all muted, the sounds of voices and cheering. The bright colors of hundreds of dresses and ties. Even Clay and Kylie had faded away.

        "Jacks, we did it!" Grayson said, tackling me with a massive hug. I yelled joyously, throwing my arms around him.

        "I am so happy," I said, tears lining my eyes. "We made it!"

        He was so excited he kissed my cheek, saying, "Happy six months!"

        "Happy six months," I laughed, squeezing him to death. 

        Grayson held on for just a moment longer before whispering, "I am so proud of you for sticking it out. And I couldn't be more grateful that you did all of this for me. Thank you, Jackie."

        "Of course," I murmured. "I'm just thankful I had you with me the whole time. Otherwise I wouldn't have made it."

        He took my hand and kissed the back of it, saying, "To our own futures. Our own beginnings."

        "To our own futures," I repeated softly.

        Just like that, we could see the end. And it was beautiful.