Chapter Ninety-Six

I sneaked a glance over at Clay, who was crying so hard it looked like he couldn't breathe. Grayson offered him a handkerchief, but it was useless against the waterfall of tears. So Clay kept sobbing, his hands covering his mouth.

        Kylie (also in cry mode) handed me her bouquet and hugged both Nina and I. It was hard hugging her, as I didn't want to squish any of her butterflies. But I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and whispered, "You guys are so beautifully, radiantly in love that I don't even need to hope that you guys are happy. You already are happier than you could ever be."

        "I feel happy, Jackie," she sniffled in agreement.

        "Want a handkerchief?" I offered.

        She nodded and wiped away the tears on her eyes and cheeks before giving it back to me. I discreetly slipped it in my pocket, hoping the sogginess would magically go away. Next to me, Nina gripped my arm in excitement, hardly able to contain herself. I thought about gripping her arm back, but then we both would've died from a lack of blood flow.

        Kylie turned around to face Clay, who immediately wrapped her in a delicate yet fierce hug. He was still crying, his lip trembling as he whispered something in her ear. I couldn't see or hear her response, but she was probably crying over his shoulder. 

        Finally they let go, standing inches apart. They still held hands, smiling at each other in absolute joy. I didn't even realize I was crying until I felt a salty taste on my lips. I quickly flicked away the tears, except they were almost immediately replaced.

        The ceremony went smoothly, right up until the vows. Clay could barely hold the microphone, he was shaking with such emotion. 

        "Kylie, you look so pretty right now," he choked out. She laughed through her own tears as he said, "What's crazy is you look so stunningly beautiful, yet I know that you're even more beautiful on the inside. You've got a heart that's made of pure kindness and is bigger than the entire universe. Your smile is worth more than any amount of riches. You give the best hugs known to humankind. You show nothing but love and affection to the people around you. As incredibly amazing as you are to strangers, I can't help but be in awe of how sweet and loving you are to me. You've shown me your deepest, most vulnerable side. I know I can never deserve you, Kylie, but I will always be at your side. I'll be there in your darkest moments and in your happiest days. For all the loving you do, you deserve someone that loves you more than anything. I love you so much it hurts sometimes, and I still don't know if it's enough. But I promise, I will always love you to the ends of the earth, Kylie."

        Everyone was crying, Kylie most of all. It took her a minute to compose herself enough to speak, and even then Clay had to give her a long hug before she could start.

        "You're my everything, Clay," she said, sniffling. "You're always on my mind. I'm always excited to see you. You're my first thought in the morning. You're my future, Clay. I want every ridiculous, sticky-sweet moment with you. I want all your hugs and kisses. I want to look back someday and not regret a single moment knowing it was all perfect with you, even through the hard times and the bad days. I want to fall asleep in your arms every night for the rest of our lives knowing I'm safe at home. You're my home, Clay. Not my house, not where we live, not anywhere we move, just you. I love you for being that place for me. I love you for a thousand reasons that would take so long to list that we'd be here until the tide came in. It's all the tiny little things you do, like when you call me in the middle of the night and it's still dinner time for me, because you know that's when we can talk. Or when you send me pictures throughout the day of things that made you think of me. I think my favorite thing might be when I pick you up at the airport and you insist that I pick out flowers for myself. As amazing and incredible as you are, you know me better than anyone else, which means the world to me. I love you."