Chapter Twenty-Six

"You're sure this one?" I asked, lifting the champagne dress higher.

        "Yes, Jackie, it looks amazing on you," Grayson said, rummaging through his drawer for socks. As neat and organized as he was, his sock drawer was a hellish wasteland. That's where he emotionally and physically stored his chaotic side. 

        "But I thought you said the black one looked amazing too," I accused, more fretful than annoyed.

        "It does," he assured me. "But I like the champagne one better." 

        "And it's dressy enough?"

        He yanked out some socks and came over, saying seriously, "Jackie, the dress is perfect. I promise."

        "You're not just being nice?" I asked weakly. 

        He shook his head. "I know how stressed out you are about this; I wouldn't lie just to be nice."

        "Okay. Thank you," I mumbled, tossing the black dress back on the bed.

        I took the dress into the bathroom, except then I had a mental argument with myself on how exactly to get it on. The back was almost nonexistent, except for satin strings that had to be crisscrossed through tiny loops on the sides. My weak arms couldn't even attempt to get the first cross done. Tired and frustrated, I kicked open the door and asked, "Grayson?"

        "Yeah?" he asked, a comb between his teeth.

        "Can you please help me tie my dress?" I asked sheepishly, clutching the fabric of the front of the dress to my chest.

        He spat the comb onto the dresser. "Sure," he said, coming over. I turned around and I couldn't help but feel his alarm. "Uh, how does it work?"

        "Oh, okay, now I see." Grayson sat down on the bed behind me and began threading the strings. I stood in awkward silence, staring at my feet. To busy myself, I began counting sheep in my head. So many sheep that I would totally forget how Grayson was tying my dress. I chewed my lip, doing my best ignore the way his fingers would accidentally brush my skin. His touch was cool, but I still felt like my entire body had gone up in flames.

        The sheep were worthless and did nothing.

        "All done," he said softly, letting the loose ends of the knot fall against my back. I began breathing again, although not well.

        Forcing myself to be brave, I turned to look at him and said, "Thank you."

        He gave me his cute little smile. "You look pretty."

        "Thanks, but I haven't even done my hair or makeup, and my shoes are hiding under the bed," I said, suddenly remembering that I had places to be in about five minutes.

        Grayson jumped up to get ready too as I went back into the bathroom. My bobby pins looked more like barbed wire on the countertop. Oh dear, this was a bad idea, this elaborate hairstyle that was just a fancy bun with a donut.

        "Go ahead without me!" I said through the five bobby pins attached to my lower lip. It was my fault we were late anyways; I'd taken a nap in the afternoon and woken up to him shaking me awake, freshly home from work. Both of us had forgotten about getting ready and wasted away the afternoon.

        "You're sure?" he asked, frowning up from tying his shoes.

        "Mm-hmm!" I exclaimed. "I'll be there soon!"